Simple PCB circuit-tracing technique (1 or 2 sided)

Hello all,

Although this is certainly elementary, I thought I'd share it since it may help someone in a pinch; here is my simple technique to create a preliminary schematic from a populated 1 or 2 sided pcb:

Regards,

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

Spam or merely a nonfunctional site? I get a generic parked domain sort of page.

Reply to
larwe

Sorry, I used the internal domain name on the lan, it should be

(why would I spam the newsgroup?)

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

People do weird things. BTW, your "revised" posting has the incorrect URL in it again! The link above works, of course...

Reply to
larwe

Michael Grigoni described his method of PCB reverse engineering

I used a similar method: taking a picture of the trace side, editing it, flipping and possibly superimposing a photo of the component side. I then use a circuit drawing program such as Dia (it's native on Linux but has been ported to Windows, too:

to draw the schematics overlaid on the background image.

Because the diagram program maintains the connectivity when elements are moved around, I can rearrange and straighten up the topology of the schematics, rats-nest like. If one could import background into a proper PCB design program such as Eagle, one should be able to get back the PCB.

Reply to
przemek klosowski

gEDA's PCB had this feature in the Xaw version; we haven't gotten around to re-adding it in the latest version.

Reply to
DJ Delorie