Timing Diagram Tool?

Anyone know of a cheap (or free) Timing Diagram tool?

I need to communicate with my digital counterparts on an IC design ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Well probably totally overkill - but free!

Download Altera Quartus web edition

and use the Waveform editor.

Icky

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

"Jim Thompson" ...

See the XWAVE font from Joseph Palmer:

(search for XWAVE)

Regards, Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

NICE! Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Now. A dumb question... do I just copy this to the \\Windows\\Fonts directory, or is some other step required?

...Jim Thompson

"Jim Thompson"...

I think I just copied it into the folder that is shown when you follow Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Fonts but maybe it must also be registered.

See also:

Adding New Fonts

---------------- Windows supports TrueType fonts or fonts that are specially designed for Windows, and these fonts are available commercially. Some programs also include special fonts that are installed as part of the program installation. Additionally, printers frequently come with TrueType or special Windows fonts. Follow the directions that come with these products to install these fonts.

To manually install or re-install a font: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type %windir%\\fonts, and then click OK. 3. On the File menu, click Install New Font. 4. In the Drives box, click the drive that has the floppy or CD-ROM that contains the fonts you want to add. If you are installing fonts from a floppy disk, this is typically drive A or drive B. If you are installing the fonts from a compact disc, your CD-ROM drive is typically drive D. Double-click the folder that contains the fonts. 5. Click the font you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each font. 6. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The Windows\\Fonts folder is where the fonts that are included with Windows are stored. 7. Click OK.

Note On Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003, you must be an administrator to add and remove fonts.

Regards, Arie de Muijnck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

My Computer -> Control Panel-> Fonts and drag & drop the ttf file in, it should install.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I sketch on grid paper, photograph, and email. One of my customers jokingly asked me what CAD package I use, and I answered "Sharpie."

John

Didn't Bob Widlar call that his "Mexican Computer"?

I really like the scanner. Got myself one of those biz-hub style things and it sits within arms length from me. It's connected to the LAN. Sketch up, click the scan to email thingamagic on the PC, bzzzzt, click, click, click, done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Agree. Except that I don't know what an eraser shield is. Do I have to feel dprived now?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, it does that, too. Just have to hit another button and it copies. Faxes, scans, prints and copies at a pretty good clip. This has freed up a lot of space in my office plus I have better redundancy now. It has so many buttons that I just discovered a new one after over a year: It can scale copies. Yeehaw. Didn't know that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

An eraser shield is a small piece of stainless steel, about the size of a credit card and very (0.010" or so) thin. It has various size cutouts in the steel, some circles, some radiuses, some straight lines, some ! teardrops, etc.. You put the shield over the part you want to erase a tiny portion of and erase like hell without worry about erasing too much.

I've still got a working electric eraser (both plug-in and cordless) if anybody needs one. Otherwise they go to the engineering museum when I kick off.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

It's handy effectively having a photocopier within reach too (scan directly to laser printer). I use it rarely, but it sure comes in handy when it's needed.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Nothing works like quadrille paper, pencil, eraser, ruler and eraser shield until you get the concept settled. Then, and only then, is CAD productive, IMHO.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

--
LOL, on the contrary, if you don\'t know what an eraser shield is you
must be a genius working with India ink from the start. ;)

Long before CAD came on the scene, these were my two best friends:

The logic template was the bugger and the eraser shield was the
debugger. ;)
Reply to
John Fields

At the university we were forced to use ink pens. The tricky ones from Rotring or Staedtler that would only work if held at exactly 90 degrees to the vellum, would leak a lot and dry up in no time. Plus ruin the occasional shirt. Same during the internships that were mandatory. So yeah, I kind of got used to that.

For some reason those links don't work for me. When I click on these nothing happens :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

--
I was just kidding, and I wasn\'t referring to formal drafting.  The
premise was that if you can do logic design with an ink pen (ergo,

Whenever I was working up that uppity genius feeling gravity struck. There have been times where I had to use a razor blade more than once in the same spot. The first instance could be somewhat muffled by rubbing a fingernail over it but the 2nd razor application definitely showed. By the 3rd there was a hole...

The ME guys had some kind of "cheat vellum" where you could peel off a layer and it almost looked as if nothing ever happened. Very expensive though but it did prevent the ink from frazzling out too much. Somehow many of them had more money than us EEs.

abse seems to roll off the servers at a fast clip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

--
The file\'s nearly a couple of megabytes long, so maybe your ISP has
some rules which are keeping you from getting it.

If you like, send me your email addy and I\'ll email it to you.
Reply to
John Fields

There's a lot to be said for sketching things freehand. Particularly if one is a visual/spatial thinker, it helps with the conceptualization process.

Some years ago, I was responsible for maintaining a rather complex engineering document management an configuration control system (built in house). All of the diagrams in my documentation were done by hand on quad ruled paper. From time to time, management required that an 'official' version be done by the CAD group, but I came to find out that the IT folks had taken to distributing copies of my drawings to the various support groups and shelving the CAD versions.

One (new) manager had requested that the CAD group produce an overview data flow diagram by combining all the individual diagram pages into a single sheet. It was about 36x48 inches with small (10pt) font labels and symbols. The story was that as soon as he saw the system he was to take responsibility for on one page, he quit. My drawings were 8.5 x 11 sheets with each sheet being the data flow or E-R for a single event (weekly backup, new version checkout, etc.) making the system a lot easier to comprehend.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics.
                -- Fletcher Knebel
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.