gEDA Binary Suite released and Google Summer of Code 2008

Hi,

I have released the second official version of the gEDA Binary Suite for x86 GNU/Linux. This binary suite has the following features:

  • Should work on any GNU/Linux distribution released after October
2001.
  • Will not interfere with your distribution's executables and libraries.
  • Installs and runs completely in user space.
  • Does not require root access to install or run.
  • Installation is a simple shell script and runs quickly.
  • Uninstall is a simple recursive "rm".
  • Currently contains the following programs from the gEDA project: - gEDA/gaf (gschem and friends) v1.4.0 - gerbv v2.0.1 - pcb (both the gtk+ and lesstif versions) v20080202 - xgsch2pcb v0.1.2

The binary suite can be downloaded from:

Be sure to read the README for installation information.

Also, the gEDA project has been accepted into Google's Summer of Code

2008 as a mentoring organization. We are looking for university students interested in working on electronic design CAD software for the summer (and getting paid!). The gEDA project is a mature and friendly free software project. Check out these links for more info:

(GSoC homepage)
(gEDA's GSoC 2008 page)
(gEDA's GSoC project page)
(gEDA's homepage)

The project page has a bunch of suggested projects, however, we are always open to project ideas not listed on that page. Students interested in participating have until March 31st to apply, so hurry!

-Ales

-- Ales Hvezda ahvezda AT seul.org

Ales Hvezda

I have found KiCad more easy to work with. Too bad it ain't in google-summer..

Reply to
sky465nm

Every package has its strengths and weaknesses (and I obviously have my bias).

kicad is definitely more of an integrated suite and more newbie friendly.

gEDA consists of less integrated programs (separate program working together; a deliberate design choice). The ability to insert arbitrary data manipulation at any point into the design flow allows for lots of flexibility. However, this flexibly comes at a price (a steeper learning curve). There is a strong user (and developer) community and lots of FAQs/documentation to offset this learning curve.

For a showcase of all the different projects out there created using the gEDA suite, please take a look at:

-Ales

PS. The GSoC 2008 student deadline has been extended until Monday, April 7, 2008!

-- Ales Hvezda ahvezda AT seul.org

Ales Hvezda

And a big way to shoot off your foot.

donald
[snip]

Yup. "Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility. " :-P

-- Ales Hvezda ahvezda AT seul.org

Ales Hvezda

I have used gschem aswell. I like it too, but kicad seems to speed up the workflow. In particular I like the 3D stuff of kicad. Which makes inductor and connector pcb layout stuff easier to visualise and get right.

Something that I miss with geda/pcb is the ability to make new component layouts smoothly.

The dataformats of KiCAD is in text style. So it's easy to manipulate them if needed.

I know about them ;)

Reply to
sky465nm