I have released the second official version of the gEDA Binary Suite for x86 GNU/Linux. This binary suite has the following features:
- Should work on any GNU/Linux distribution released after October
- Will not interfere with your distribution's executables and libraries.
- Installs and runs completely in user space.
- Does not require root access to install or run.
- Installation is a simple shell script and runs quickly.
- Uninstall is a simple recursive "rm".
- Currently contains the following programs from the gEDA project: - gEDA/gaf (gschem and friends) v1.4.0 - gerbv v2.0.1 - pcb (both the gtk+ and lesstif versions) v20080202 - xgsch2pcb v0.1.2
The binary suite can be downloaded from:
Be sure to read the README for installation information.
Also, the gEDA project has been accepted into Google's Summer of Code2008 as a mentoring organization. We are looking for university students interested in working on electronic design CAD software for the summer (and getting paid!). The gEDA project is a mature and friendly free software project. Check out these links for more info:
The project page has a bunch of suggested projects, however, we are always open to project ideas not listed on that page. Students interested in participating have until March 31st to apply, so hurry!
-- Ales Hvezda ahvezda AT seul.org