gEDA Device Models

I just pulled a current copy of gEDA from

and it appears that the device models are no longer there.

Why not?

I can resurrect the models from my old version, but isn't this going to hurt new users who don't have their own archive built up?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: : I just pulled a current copy of gEDA from :

and it appears that the device : models are no longer there.

: Why not?

: I can resurrect the models from my old version, but isn't this going to : hurt new users who don't have their own archive built up?

Ummmmm...... Device models?

Do you mean SPICE models? GEDA has never, *ever* distributed SPICE models with the rest of the design suite. Doing so would probably violate more copyrights than a pile of music CDs in a Chinese flea market. The gEDA Project does not violate any vendor copyrights, both as a matter of principle and as a matter of obeying the law.

Like many other electronics designers, certain gEDA users have posted SPICE models on their personal websites (separate and unaffiliated with gEDA) for other users to download and use, but the gEDA Project has *never* distributed SPICE models along with the rest of the electronic design software. It has always been up to individual users to find their own models and incorporate them into their copies of the gEDA suite.

Stuart (gEDA developer)

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

That's hilarious, I'm using that one.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Since gEDA is GPLd, its possible that someone else put together a gEDA distribution which include models and that's what I've got. It matters not. The new version works with the old models.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com