Eagle library editor

I finally bit the bullet and got a copy of Eagle, because I need to do a bunch of small proto boards. Initial impressions are positive, mostly because it has a command line at the ready. Score.

The first device I tried creating is an Avago ATF35143 pHEMT, which comes in a SC70-4 package with the source connected to pins 2 and 4.

There is no obvious way to tell Eagle that both 2 and 4 are connected to the source.

What's the right way to do this?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

are you talking about schematic or PCB representation ?

Reply to
TTman

Well I don't know if this is the 'right' way. But when I have multiple pins connected to the same 'thing', then in the schematic symbol I "name" the pins Source@2 and Source@4. I mostly do this with power pins so it's V+@2 and V+@3.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We create a part like that with two visible source pins on the schematic symbol, and we wire both of them up on the schamatic.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/FSU02.jpg

John

That's how I do it too. The internal connection is really just a visual thing for the user of the schematic. Not sure if Eagle is any different from Orcad, Altium etc.

How do those physical pins map to the SPICE model?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks, George, putting two source pins in the symbol works.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We were talking a few months back about Eagle & LTSpice users chipping in to get somebody to make an Eagle LTSpice schematic converter. I'd still be interested if anybody else is.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ly

t -

I was just playing around with an opamp with multiple power pins. Even when I only attched only one in the schematic, they were all shown connected in the 'rat's nest'.

(The @ symbol is nice 'casue it reminds you of the pin number when you are connecting the symbol and package together.)

Oh here's a fun editing trick that a coworker recently found in Eagle. If you hold down the scroll ball on the mouse and then drag the mouse around it pans the display.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

before the new version 6 the only way to do it was to have the same number of pins and pads and then connect them at the schematic.

in version 6.0, you can connect on pin to mutiple pads, in the library editor it is called append

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

all pins need a unique name, all the @x syntax does is hide the unique part so a symbol with several pins that look to have the same name. e.g. vdd

What Phil is asking for is a symbol with one pin going to multiple pads

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

It's rare to get a Spice model for PHEMTS. Usually you get s-parameters, and I assume both sources are grounded for that.

I do have Spice models for a few NEC phemts. The Spice model shows a single source pin, with package inductance and resistance, and ignores the fact that the package has two source pins.

John

Welcome to Eagle. Which version are you uing? We first bought the professional package starting with version 4 then upgraded to V5. Version 6 just came out last week and I'm taking my time about getting an upgrade license. 30 minutes after the release, the first bug reports came in. Version 5 has been very stable and I may stay with it for a while yet.

You should definitely check out news://news.cadsoft.de (no login needed) I've gotten a lot of good information there.

Season's greetings - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks. I'm using Eagle 5.7.0, because it runs in Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I run version 5.11 You might want to check the change log to see if any of the updates are relevant to your work. If you download the Version 5.12 from ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/5.12/ you can either install it (Eagle new installs ALWAYS install in a new directory so there is no worry about overwriting anything) or use winrar or winzip to open the install file. Look at the contents of the "doc" directory and you will find update_en.txt which is the change log. The user manual is also here. Having just written that, I have to do likewise to see if there is any compelling reason to move from 5.11 to 5.12. I have the program set to check when a new release is available and notify me. Never got a 5.12 notification...

If you have it, the autorouter is pretty good. Just be sure that your grids are set appropriately or it will never route. There is also a 'follow-me' router which I really like. No auto-place so just takes experience where to put things.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks for the wisdom on the last newbie question. I managed to finish a simple schematic (1 pHEMT, one SiGe bipolar, and one fast op amp--a whole 22 parts altogether).

Now for a board layout, and the next question. I figured out how to set the design rules to make a four-layer board with two cores, with prepreg in between. Now I need to make a ground plane. So far, I've done:

set layer 2 to be net GND, supply plane box checked in the DISPLAY dialogue

POLY GND draw the polygon autoroute (just for test purposes, honest)

The autoroute fails because it's trying to put everything on layer 1, and it ignores the ground plane almost entirely--it routes the grounds, and it makes no vias or thermals in the ground plane. Except for one--it makes a big hole under the Pin 1 mark on the IC package, which is drawn as a wire in the package editor.

How do I get Eagle to recognize the ground plane as a ground plane?

How do I get the autorouter to use more than one layer?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I used Eagle for about 10 years but never used supply plane layer - onlu ever used poly

if you have other pins named gnd then this should work and your plane will conencto to teh pins automatically. If it is al SMD then you will manually need to place vias

there are several parameters to work with in the autorouter I played with it a few times but never got good results - I'd end up taking as long tidying it all up as I would laying it out from scratch - but my boards were never all that big - normally eurocard size.

The cadsoft eagle newsgroups used to be excellent for support but it looks like they've moved to a web based forum and I'm not sure well that compares

cheers

David

Reply to
David

You'd have to name the polygon "GND" or whatever net name you have assigned to ground. I never do layouts but I think it's done via the polygon button while in the layout window.

See if trestrict and brestrict are set correctly (or not set). In the setup you can (AFAIR) even specify the preferred routing direction for each layer.

Unless the layout is super RF-critical stuff it is usually more economical to contract it out. If you need an Eagle layouter drop me a line, I had a layout done on Eagle a few months ago. If it doesn't have to be Eagle there is someone at a company in S.F. that you know :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

...and perhaps she would like to learn another package beyond PADS.

...and for other EAGLE neophites considering that package:

Now, for a show of hands here of anyone who ever got useful results from an autorouter. ...particularly on a project with more than 22 components. ...especially with an ECAD package that cost less than $5k. . . {1} An initialism for Easily Applicable Graphical Layout Editor.

Reply to
JeffM

I did that, but it's still trying to route GND. It may be that it's confused since I started the schematic on the freeware version and then bought a license.

Thanks. I'm not planning to start laying out all of my own boards, don't worry. It's just that I'm doing a lot of stuff with 20-GHz SC70 transistors these days, and I'd love to be able to order 20 or 50 tiny little boards in various version to hack up, rather than go blind trying to use a Dremel. If I can just get over this little hurdle, I should be able to do that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ue

I mostly do two layer boards. I draw the polygon where I want it. And then I "name" the polygon GND. (Or whatever the name of the net is that I want the polygon connected as.)

****Warning*** A coworker was laying out a four layer board with some internal ground and power planes and using the polygon commmand for internal layers swallowed up his via's. We run version 4.15 so this may have been fixed in your version.

I think he used the Rectangle (or box?) command and that worked.

I'll send an email and ask,

George H. (at home, sick with a bug)

Reply to
George Herold