Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

To complete repairs of a Fluke 23 I now only require some "1500 V surge protectors". That's what the BOM on the Fluke 70 series service manual calls them. Though on the 23 model one of them is actually 2 in series.

These are red, about 5mm dia x 4mm. markings are

H NI

1399

They look like old Harris or GE MOV's.

The other one is yellow, 8x8x5mm, has a sawn slit half way through it and has markings

MDC

1-2KV 9143

Any clues where to get similar ones at least? Farnell, Digikey and RS don't appear to go that high in voltage choices.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

To complete repairs of a Fluke 23 I now only require some "1500 V

** Then MOVs are what the probably are.

Farnell have 7mm MOVs in 460 Vrms or 750 VDC @ 1mA - so two of them gives you 1500 VDC.

Cat: 100-4346 for $1.21+

** Then that is no MOV - it is a spark gap.

Not likely to need replacement - just a clean.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

them

That looks like the nearest thing around. I'll grab some.

OK.. so I had a close look inside the gap and spied a tiny bit of grit there. Cleaned with some shim, now the resistance shows megohm instead of ohms. I will get a new one, but replace for now.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

OK.. so I had a close look inside the gap and spied a tiny bit of grit there. Cleaned with some shim, now the resistance shows megohm instead of ohms. I will get a new one, but replace for now.

** Very hard to find anyone selling such spark gaps.

Might be easier to extract one from the neck PCB of an old CRT monitor - look out for one in the nature strip fodder.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Still getting your parts from road verge collection junk eh Philthy? :-)) Had any more Quad gear, toasters or Sony CDP101s lately?

TT :-))

Reply to
TT

You might find some in old `junk box' PC power supplies...

Cu

Reply to
Mik DaDik

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:18:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Fluke's supplier code for that part is 91984.

This URL suggests that "MDC" is "MAIDA DEVELOPMENT CO":

This is MDC's web site:

9143 appears to be a YYWW date code.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Good find Franc, cant see spark gaps on their site yet though.

Reply to
geoffjunkster