USB TV Tuner

Not true, it depends completely on where you live. Even when we lived in the northern suburbs of Sydney, we had a masthead amp.

Where we live now, 100% of houses have MHAs coz you don't get reception otherwise.

Reply to
keithr

Yes, in the sense that you would increase your chances of getting a usable picture.

Reply to
terryc

"keith ratbag nutcase from hell "

** Figure out what " rarely " means FUCKWIT !!

** 100% WRONG !!

** 100% BULLSHIT !!

A mast head amp only compensates for long cable runs or the use of splitters.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Pretzl wrote

That's just plain wrong.

And so is that. You can also get dropouts and pixellation too.

That's just plain wrong. Only those who don't understand the basics get that result.

What ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

felix_unger wrote

He did later, and those usually don?t do analog.

Sure, but it doesn?t do that filters the noise stuff.

Is keep out the CB and phone bands and that wont be his problem.

Rod Speed

Harry wrote

You'll pay quite a bit more than that for most amplified internal antennas.

Havent checked ebay on that tho, that?s whats in the stores like Dick Smith etc.

It should work but you may end up paying close to what the cheapest small TVs cost.

Corse they may not do much better too.

I did do alright by just buying one of those non amplified antennas at Sams before they went bust and returning it for a full refund when it didn?t help. The droid just shrugged and said they get quite a few like that.

I'd personally try one of the cheap indoor antennas from Chickenfeed etc and if it doesn?t help return it for a full refund.

Or a decent amplified antenna if you don?t mine the higher price.

Reply to
Rod Speed

keithr wrote

That is however a minority of domestic non block of flats situation.

Reply to
Rod Speed

terryc wrote

Nope, most get a usable digital TV picture without that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Its more complicated than that with digital TV where unless you have enough signal at the TV, you can see no picture at all.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It's known locally as "Dodgey digital"

The dropouts and pixellation are the sames as can't

What's there to understand plugged mine in and picture perfect on all channel? Then over summer lost the 7 group?

Could get those channels without the ALDI gazzo

--
Petzl
Reply to

"Rod Speed" .

** A MHA only does what I wrote above.

If there is not enough signal at the antenna terminals - it will not help.

Long cable runs and splitters WORSEN the S/N ratio - but only IF you have them.

IF you live in a rural area, with all channels on UHF, AND are at the limit of reception distance AND you have a long cable run to the TV or STB - then using a MHA may be needed.

The issue is the high loss factors in co-ax at UHF frequencies.

20 metres of cable can lose 5 to 6dB of signal.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison wrote

Yes, but you can see the loss in the cable drop the signal level down below what the digital TV needs to produce a picture and a mast head amp can compensate for that loss in the cable so that the signal is then adequate at the TV when the signal isnt that great without the mast head amp.

Yes, but if there is too much loss in the cable with a less than ideal signal at the antenna terminal it can provide a viable signal level at the TV to get a digital picture.

You don?t need a long run to see significant signal attenuation in the cable.

And you don?t know that his latest situation isnt that.

And you don?t know that his latest situation isnt that.

And so you can find that a mast head amp does fix the problem even when you don?t have a long run or splitters.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Try getting a reasonable picture without one if you live north of Hornsby.

Reply to
keithr

Depends on your situation, drive around our town and you'll see MHAs on

97% of antennas. All our channels are on UHF at a distance of about 30Km from the transmitter with several lumps of terrain between.
Reply to
keithr

keithr wrote

Nope.

And even you should have noticed that that armpit of a town is a microscopic subset of the total domestic non block of flats situations in the entire country.

And that's why mast head amps are worth having, because of the loss in the cable with UHF.

That is however a minority of the total domestic non block of flats situations in the entire country.

Irrelevant to what the mast head amps are there for.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"keith ratbag = CRIMINAL TROLL "

** Get cancer and die you vile pile of shit.
Reply to
Phil Allison

"keith ratbag = CRIMINAL TROLL "

** Get cancer and die you vile pile of shit.
Reply to
Phil Allison

nope, a significant proportion of the population live in similar areas.

Not necessarily, when we lived in Berowra, and had analog TV on VHF, we couldn't get a usable signal without a MHA even with less than 10 metres on antenna cable.

Reply to
keithr

Still using an old Antenna Thing is why does everything work perfectly for three years. Then just goes off (the Antenna hasn't moved)

Have been considering a new Aerial

--
Petzl
Reply to