mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

I have a modem card in a computer which is able to establish a dialup connection to an ISP when connected to a landline.

Is it possible to substitute a mobile phone for the landline?

Reply to
Polt

The short answer... No.

The long answer... No, not in the fashion you're wanting to do it in.

The solution is to enable Wi-Fi tethering in your 'phone (if it's capable of that - I know all Android 2.4+ 'phones are able to do it; not sure about others), and connect the computer to the 'phone using Wi-Fi.

If your 'phone doesn't do Wi-Fi tethering and/or your computer doesn't have a Wi-Fi adaptor, you can use USB tethering - basically a lower-tech version of the above.

Once connected, you'll be using your 'phone 3G (or EDGE) data and your computer'll behave just as if it was connected directly to an Ethernet port - no dialling required.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Yes is the correct answer. My daughter was doing this, where she had her mobile connected to a PC by a cable. (The Telstra sim she used was free to Bigpond.)

Reply to
Rob

I'd really love to hear how she managed to get the cellular network to transmit the QAM signals produced by a dial-up modem, given the bandwidth requirements of the latter which the former simply doesn't, by design, support. This of course before we even start contemplating the inability (and indeed unwillingness) of a mobile 'phone to accept DTMF tones to initiate dialling.

You'll have to forgive my naive curiosity in this regard; I'm merely an electronics engineer with only a little over three decades' experience in the computing field.

Had you said "my daughter used her 'phone as a modem," I'd most humbly have nodded my head in agreement - but what you're proposing is simply impossible based on my training and experience.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Some older phones allowed a very slow unreliable connection to Internet (just a friend of mine once set it up but ridiculously slow and not even good for email)

Best to try a USB "Dongle" or

When I tried Vodafone I ended up sending dongle back just didn't work they claimed to much congestion (I don't trust them they seem a scam)

For my Android tablet I used Amaysim prepaid data (12 months 10 gig for $100, speed varies from where you are norm is around 2Mb/s)

You will still need a Optus Dongle to accept Sim Card (Android sim card plugs into computer) Caltex service station sell Sim Cards $2

Problem with Telstra is they don't seem to want to be in communication for individuals (prices not in reality or competitive)

--
Petzl
Reply to

The modem connection created by attaching a phone to a computer via USB actually acts in the same way as a normal modem except that it calls a service number (usually *99#) instead of a modem dialup number. All you have to do is change that number to an ISP dialup number and the connection will operate as aq dialup connection.

Reply to
Polt

Pretzl wrote

He's just mindlessly splitting hairs about how its done.

It is viable for email without any attachments.

Or one of the wifi wireless routers.

They did go thru a patch of an utterly obscene level of service because they couldn't come even close to keeping up with demand.

Corse they do.

While they are a bit higher than the competition, they also have the best wireless network too.

The prices arent too bad.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Is there a modem in the old phones?

I'm not exactly sure of the exact details of how. She took the free sim and placed it into her Nokia phone, and the cable plugged into the bottom of the phone, this was then connected to the PC. If I was to get the PC back and have a look just to see what hardware it had I would most likely have a better idea. She had no landline and the mobile gave quite a good result.

I wonder if the mobile connected to bigpond and the signal went via usb to the PC??

Reply to
Rob

Rob wrote

He's just mindlessly hair splitting/posturing, as always.

Nope.

The phone just fakes up a modem so the comms app is happy.

Most phones can do that. The connection speed is pathetic.

Yes it did, or to the telco the sim was provided by, anyway.

Nope, just the data.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When first connected I got reasonable speeds then a month later (after

30 day "guarantee") it became rubbish. A number of others report the same fiasco.

Not really although they are not the only ones. Why won't they allow Naked DSl? as a instance, looking into getting a data only Sim card they want all my phones (mobile & home) Internet all at obscene millionaire pricing.

Well I haven't tried their Sim data pricing lately (5 months) but they were not even a quarter of what I got through Amaysim (Optus carrier). I did shop around no one in Telstra know their product except the "Customer Service" manager you waste your time talking to anyone else! Give up if you can only get the Philippines

--
Petzl
Reply to

you can make ISDN calls using many GSM phones, the phone looks like a modem to the pc. most dialup ISPs will accept ISDN calls.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

USB, yes. RJ11 'phone port, no.

You're suggesting using the 'phone as a modem - which is easily accomplished.

Connecting a mobile 'phone to a dial-up modem in a computer, however, is impossible.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

^^^ What he said.

The first 'phone I had which could function as a modem was a Philips Spark, circa 1997 - which was incidentally also the first GSM 'phone I had.

Assuming you have the ('phone) modem driver installed, your computer will see the 'phone as a modem and use it as such.

I'd strongly advise against it though, as even the slowest GPRS or EDGE connection will out-perform dial-up via ISDN.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Pretzl wrote

Yeah, absolutely classic example of what can happen when you don't have enough capacity and aggressively promote the service so you end up with so many new customers that you cant handle them all properly because you never had enough capacity to do that.

It was never clear if those with a clue had warned about that problem and were just ignored or whether even those didn't realise the problem until the shit had hit the fan very spectacularly indeed.

Corse they do, they've been flogging those white prepaid sticks and the wifi routers for years now. They're available in all the retail outlets like the post office, hardly normal, big W etc etc etc.

Because they make a hell of a lot of money on line rent, stupid.

No they don't. You just cant understand some of their offerings.

That's just plain wrong. One of their offers isnt any more expensive than DSL. Its just got the major disadvantage that it just charges you more once you exceed the quota rather than just crippling the service speed wise.

But they arent anything like that much cheaper than dodo, optarse themselves etc etc etc.

Some of the operations like the franchised telstra shops do have a clue.

It would have been cheaper for the turks, but they had already had to cancel the broadband service twice because one of the stupid kids grossly exceeded the quota and produced an utterly obscene bill, so they needed a service that would just cripple the performance of the service and not affect the amount they paid. So I put them on a DSL service instead even tho they didn't need a phone service at all because they all use the mobile service that gives free calls between all customers of the mobile service and

25c untimed national calls to both landlines and mobiles nationally. That's MUCH cheaper than a landline voice service.
Reply to
Rod Speed

Jasen Betts wrote

It isnt an ISDN call.