USB TV Tuner

Recently bought USB TV Tuner: Compro Videomate U620F

Finding that only ABC and SBS is picked up with included antenna. This is not so bad since the other channels are mostly rubbish, but I have a few questions:

  1. Do the ABC and SBS broadcast stronger signals because they are government channels and they are required to provide a service?

  1. What influence does the length of the rabbit ears of indoor TV antennas have on reception?

  2. What influence does electricity-powered signal amplification have on reception?

  1. Do external house antennas rely on electricity?

  2. What would be the best way to improve reception using an indoor antenna? Antenna size/length? Electricity powered signal amplification?
Reply to
Harry

trolling removed

add rabbit ears OR an external antenna and enjoy

Reply to
atec77

what trolling? obviously just wanted info

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

Already tried cheap rabbit ears but not much joy. Hence my questions which you snipped and criticised.

Reply to
Harry

Possibly

The bigger the better.

Can't comment on that one.

Only those with signal amplifiers.

Hook up to an external antenna, the house should have one.

Reply to
SG1

In strong signal areas you might get away with rabbit ears but even in medium areas you will likely need a basic external antenna pointed in the right direction.

Boosters can be helpful but you need a signal to amplify, so if the reception is really poor it won't help.

Reply to
Clocky

Broadcasts are from different places. The obvious idea of coordinating broadcasting so that transmissions serving an area all come from the same place is apparently beyond the abilities of Australian regulators. So the strength of the signal depends, amongst other things, on where you are relative to each transmitter.

As an energy source, you mean? Not unless they have a mast amplifier.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Is height the biggest factor?

Intended use will not involve external antenna so not an option.

Reply to
Harry

no. maybe you are closer to their transmitters, or their frequencies are being received better

the longer the better

normally it only amplifies what is being received, unless it's a more sophisticated kind that filters the noise and boosts the signal

no, but you can use a powered mast head amplifier that requires DC voltage up the antenna cable

put it up as high as possible, and you could use something like this..

generally the best solution is to use an external antenna, even a small one just mounted on the gutter, or in the ceiling unless you have an iron roof, is better than an internal antenna where the signal has to go thru walls, etc.

rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

I ask the question generally. Would an external house antenna be connected to electricity, on average?

What is the reason they are better than indoor antennas? Height, electricity, or some other factor?

Reply to
Harry

The answer is deserved , google the answer or take the advice which is valid

--

Reply to
atec77

"Harry"

** Only rarely in a domestic situation.

Antennas on tops of buildings and blocks of units are another story.

** Having an unobstructed line through the air to the transmitter sites is the big one - results in a much stronger and much cleaner signal. Plus you can put up a physically large and efficient antenna that would be absurd indoors.

It is a near miracle that indoor TV antennas work at all - everything is against them.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I remember years and years of using indoor antennas. Is digital TV the reason why they are no longer viable?

Reply to
Harry

This is a requirement of the public broadcaster/s to ensure a good signal is provided to everyone.

Reply to
Rob

Clear line of sight between aerials will have a bigger influence.

Reply to
terryc

"Harry the Fuckwit TROLL "

** Truth is, they were never any good with analogue TV.

With DTV the need for a clean, strong signal is more crucial - if annoying drop outs are to be avoided.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fully extended, they should be tuned to the middle of the TV frequency spectrum.

Height is always a factor but that is mainly to get above line of sight obstructions such as houses, trees, etc.

From no signal on analogue to just acceptable. Digital is more picky.

Apartment buildings where signals are split between multiple apartments usually use amplification. Houses only need it if the signal is low to begin with.

Get a powered antenna that has the highest gain.

Amplified antenna will be your only option. I think the digital TV signals occupy a slightly higher spot in the spectrum so a standard UHF antenna will work but may degrade at one end. Get one suitable for digital transmission and you should be ok.

We use a signal booster on the TV in the bedroom - too many walls, too many trees, too far from the outside antennaa. Used to work on analogue quite ok but some channels snowy. No good whatsoever on digital. May need to install a splitter and run a cable from the outside antenna to solve my issue.

In your case, I suggest you either borrow a amplified antenna and try it or get a guarantee from the shop that you can return with no penalty if it isn't up to scratch.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

"Krypsis"

** Err no.

Fully extended they tune to channel 2, half extended is channel 7.

** You seem to be unaware that DTV is mainly on VHF channels in all capitol cities.

The VHF channels used are 6, 8, 9A, 11 & 12 plus a couple of UHF channels for SBS etc.

DTV antennas for capitol city use are quite compact and cover all the above.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Generally no.

External antennae a usually placed in a high position clear of line of sight obstructions. As well, they have a much higher gain factor and you can see this by the number of elements on them. The rabbit ears are a basic dipole antenna and will have two active elements only. A directional external antena will have the two active elements plus a variable number of director and reflector elements. Director elements are progressively shorter whilst reflector elements are progressively longer than the active elements. Directional antennae, like those on the rooves of houses everywhere, provide much more signal gain.

A couple of websites to help you gain a better understanding of antennae types.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

I suspect it is. Even a poor analogue signal will provide a snowy picture can still be viewed. A poor digital signal will just freeze or drop the picture out completely.

--

Krypsis
Reply to