Transistor equivalent

I'm repairing an old Sansui stereo amp. It has a faulty transistor in the main power amp section. It's marked A697, a TO92 package (PNP). Would the equivalent be a 2SA697?

Is there a website with transistor equivalents on it for future reference?

Grateful for any help.

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn"

** More than just equivalent - it is the same device.

A BC556 would be a likely equivalent.

But check the pin connections.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wow, thanks for such a quick response. My old transistor equivalent book says a BC327A is equivalent to the 2SA697 but it sure doesn't behave that way (after correcting for pin difference). Nasty hum on that channel now, replacing the severe crackling and popping that the faulty transistor produced. Will try your suggested equivalent if I can't find an exact match.

Glenn

My ECA equivalents book suggests BC327A, BC638, BC640 or 2SB647. The limited data listed states 65V version of the 2SA696, which is 45V, 0.3A, 0.5W & FT=130MHz.

Reply to
ian field

The obvious thing to do is borrow the 2SA697 from the good channel and see if that cures the bad channel, and/or try your replacement transistor in the good channel and see what effect it has.

In any case with a stereo amplifier, if you use a substitute part in one channel it makes sense to make the other channel exactly the same.

Reply to
ian field

Thanks. I found the fault by swapping the transistors between the two channels. The BC327 works after all -- I had not looked closely enough at the pin order and put it in the wrong way. Once I changed this, it fixed the problem. I was thinking of swapping out the other channel's transistor too but have left it. The voltage rating on the BC327 is slightly lower so didn't want to replace the other channel's transistor unless I had too. The amplifier appears to be working faultlessly.

I appreciate all the help. Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn"