Telstra unveils "unlimited" wireless broadband for business (20.1Mbps)

Telstra unveils "unlimited" wireless broadband for business. (20.1Mbps) Aug 30, 2010 2:30 PM

Telstra was targeting business buyers with a familiar consumer strategy by revealing an "unlimited" wireless broadband deal today for fleet purchasers of its new Ultimate USB modems.

The newly released $299 Ultimate USB modem took advantage of a dual channel HSPA+ upgrade to the Next G network to offer a maximum download speed of 20.1Mbps.

The dual-channel system had been installed in all major capitals and a number of regional centres, with Telstra estimating that 50 percent of the Australian population had access to the upgraded network.

"We're achieving office-like speeds now in these remote locations," Telstra executive director enterprise and government John Paitaridis said.

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Big Whoop

I get a Maximum of 20 meg on my Land Line, but how many actually get any where near 20 Meg?

I can Guarantee the Average Speed of the Wireless will also not be anything like 20 meg. I reckon you'd be pushing to do 10 Meg.

Reply to
son of a bitch

Do you have a basis for that claim apart from imaginative guesses ? cite :?

--
Reply to
atec77

Sure,

  1. All Telco's Lie

  1. Have tried existing 3G , 7.2 Nets from Unwired, PigBond, Three, Virgin, Optus. All of these do live up to THEIR claims, not mine. Their just Crap.

  2. All Telco's Lie, Pigbond have even Lost Lawsuits regarding their
3G and 7.2 claims. And ACCC has even stuck it to PigBond for misleading claims.
Reply to
son of a bitch

Sure,

  1. All Telco's Lie

  1. Have tried existing 3G , 7.2 Nets from Unwired, PigBond, Three, Virgin, Optus. All of these do not live up to THEIR claims, not mine. Their just Crap.

  2. All Telco's Lie, Pigbond have even Lost Lawsuits regarding their
3G and 7.2 claims. And ACCC has even stuck it to PigBond for misleading claims.
Reply to
son of a bitch

Why do you think that the word "Peak" is always present when wireless data rates are mentioned?

Reply to
keithr

Peak, what a Joke

At the moment I'm fixing a Lap with a 3G Dongle. Yesterday I was getting between 3-5 Meg, Right now I am getting Zero. I am a fair way from the Tower with a Few Trees in the way. It's about 300 Meters away.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I know the actual reason do you ? cite :

--
Reply to
atec77

very subject and as you often do a display of nfi thanks for playing

--
Reply to
atec77

It's because as soon as more than 3 people start using the tower your speed drops.

Data transport bandwidth will take second place to voice calls.

High speed wireless data takes more resources than voice, as resources are devoted to voice (more connected calls) data rates slow.

Reply to
Amigo

Don't let Roddles hear you say that.

Reply to
SG1

'Member the Combi Van, cost PigPond 1 Million Bucks.

Reply to
son of a bitch

Since you are either too lazy or too incompetent to research the subject, I suppose that I'll have to do it for you. Try this paper from Motorola who, since they are trying to sell lot of cellular products, are hardly likely to run the product down.

Note the definitions of Physical Layer Peak Data Rate ("This is often the throughput measure highlighted in media and marketing materials"), Application Layer Peak Data Rate ("The application layer peak data rate achieved here assumes there is only a single user on the network with the best possible atmospheric conditions"), and Average Sector Throughput ("Individual user throughput is often affected by a set of conditions such as distance from site, number of concurrent users, mobility, interference, indoor/outdoor coverage, tower heights, and the types of devices being used on the network").

And then:-

"Peak data rate marketing has lead to a misaligned comparison of many wireless broadband technologies, leaving agencies confused about the actual performance of existing and future wireless broadband technologies. As seen in this paper, the true performance of wireless broadband network is reflected in more than just the peak data rate number. In effect, this theoretical peak rate figure fails to give a fair picture of what users are likely to experience when using the technology in a real world situation. Average sector throughput and edge rates offers a more realistic measure of real life network capacity and likely user experience, hence giving agencies a more accurate basis for planning future operations. The quality of user experience is not only a factor of data rate but also directly impacted by connection time and latency; for that reason LTE is the first technology that will provide users with a true mobile broadband experience."

If you can only get 2 bars on your cell phone or live in apartment land, surrounded by hundreds of other users, peak data rates are pie in the sky. Wireless does have it's place, if users are sparse and the terrain is flat then it may well be the best solution, but 80% of users are going to be disappointed if they believe the marketing bullshit about the data rates that they can expect.

Reply to
keithr

Here's another one from the same source, remember that Motorola is trying to sell LTE, so they aren't going to slag it off. Look particularly at fig 6, a few lucky people living near the tower may get

65Mbps or better, but the majority will be lucky to get half that even without hills, blocks of flats or trees in the way

keithr

any

So just to be clear, are you claiming users WILL get *average* speeds close to 20MbS? Or that users of the current 7.2 systems ever get close to those speeds? I certainly have never heard of anyone who does, even for local downloads. And the speed is usually moot for anywhere else.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

On 31/08/2010 11:00 AM, keithr wrote: YHawn

Reply to
atec77

The whole idea of the "speed is silly

I use a relatively slow link but the down load limit is large , whats the point of arguing the theory when many have only a small 20 or 30 gig download hence a small link will suffice

If the methodology in downloads and the connection is flawed in the specific case mentioned no one has more than vague anecdotal evidence and a lot of theory in this thread as to claims no I don't make specific claims atm

--
Reply to
atec77

Whats the matter son, don't like answers that contradict your views?

Reply to
keithr

Of course they don't. No logic. Shared spectrum and all that. Besides, peak rates, unlimited rates, people start using it and all of a sudden there's usage restrictions or "fair use" provisions and the available bandwidth is used up.

I got unlimited ADSL account, the limit became 60GB "fair use", but the ISP turfed out the larger users before that, simply refused their business. An ISP is allowed to do that.

My peak usage was 40GB/Month, is usually half that, ISP and myself mostly happy for over six years now.

So I think Telstra can say what they like until the new spectrum is full, then turf the customers that spoil the illusion for others. Wireless is good is the bush, not so good for dense urban. If it was so good, we'd all give up the copper / optical network and use wireless. No?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant