IBM unveils worlds first 5nm chip

IBM unveils world's first 5nm chip

Jan Panteltje

How many silicon atoms does it take to make 5 nm?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

About 45.

--

Rick C
Reply to

If you want a 5 nm long "wire" you need about 9 lattices, each with 8 atoms.

--
Saludos
Reply to

ms.

Right, (not a well formed question) Say a square wire, 5nm on a side. Then (as you say) 9 lattices times 8 atoms / lattice, a total of

9^2*8 = 648 atoms, about 26 atoms on a side.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Mon, 5 Jun 2017 11:52:42 -0400) it happened rickman wrote in :

Yes, google gives 210 pm (pico meter) for a si atom, so

-> 5E-9/210E-12 = 23.8095 so 24 without the big atom splitter :-)

But I am no chemist .. likely there needs to be some crystal structure or something. Maybe Bill Sloman?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

One scanner, with its EUV source, costs over $120 million. The NRE for one chip, design and masks, is about $250 million. Not many chips can justify that: flash, DRAM, possibly a high-volume processor.

 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote on 6/5/2017 1:27 PM:

Did you see the size of the chip in the link? It's larger than any chip I've ever seen. I think 2x4cm.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Silicon forms a face-centered diamond-cubic with a 0.543 nm side length and 8 atoms per cube, see:

so a 5x5x5 nm silicon cube contains about 9*9*9*8 = 5832 atoms

--
Saludos
Reply to

Den mandag den 5. juni 2017 kl. 19.28.08 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

and fpgas

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Maybe. The trend seems to be to fab one chip and sell it as a range of parts, by blowing fuses or by selling partly defective chips as cheaper parts. We buy two different-size, different-priced Altera parts that seem to be identical.

Here's an EUV scanner. The EUV target droplet chamber is at the far end.

I don't know why those guys are wearing bunny suits. The wafers are in vacuum.

 Click to see the full signature

ISO 9000

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Mon, 5 Jun 2017 20:08:33 +0200) it happened Miguel Giménez wrote in :

Thank you, nice visualisation.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

John Larkin wrote on 6/5/2017 2:51 PM:

The same reason you don't pile the hospital waste in the room next to the OR.

--

Rick C
Reply to

John Larkin wrote on 6/5/2017 2:51 PM:

It's not that they sell "defective" chips as smaller chips. They save money by simply testing less of the chip and selling it as a smaller device. Just like for very high volume customers who aren't looking for reconfigurability, they will test to your design usage which ends up being a

*much* smaller percentage of the chip with appropriately reduced test time. Much less NRE than an ASIC (even one made to match your FPGA) but much lower prices than fully qualified FPGAs.
--

Rick C
Reply to

Or high value processor. Are you sure about the $250M number?

Reply to
krw

Could equip the next several of these

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Precisely. As my boss at IBM once said, it's better to work for people with money. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That's a number that I've seen in electronics mags.

 Click to see the full signature

It looks like those 2x4cm structures might be several dies with a test die for the group.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso