Good book wanted

Hi Can any one sugest a good book that will show me the way to embedded systems programing in C ?

Thanks ec

Reply to
ec

Hello,

perhaps this one:

Embedded System Design on a Shoestring (by Lewin Edwards) ISBN: 0750676094

Via Amazon (both reference / payed links, if not wanted, just search for above ISBN) in US

in UK

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

There is a an embedded C book that can be downloaded from our website that might be a starting point

w..

ec wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks

might be a starting point

Reply to
Walter Banks

In article , ec writes

Define embedded (sorry)

Two books have been suggested one is for 8 bit system with no RTOS (by far the most common) and one at the other end of the scale using Linux (which is not an RTOS) on a 32 bit system.....

Both books are very good. Though ironically Walter's, about commercial systems, is on free download and Lewins about Gcc is a book you have to buy :-)

There are 100's of books in between. It depends what you want to do.

Can you give more of an ideas what you are trying to achieve?

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

My book "Embedded System Design on a Shoestring" referenced in this thread is _not_ about Linux, it is about "bare metal" bringup of an OSless ARM platform, including writing the assembly startup code. If the OP is an experienced C programmer and needs to learn some of the minutiae of bringing up an ARM platform, then this volume is a good choice.

PS: My publisher tells me the third book is doing great; I think in a few more months it will have outsold both my first two books combined :)

Reply to
larwe

One day Amazon will finally deliver it to me :-|

Reply to
Tom Lucas

So sorry, please take next ticket, this window closed thank you.

Seriously, if that frabjous day ever arrives, please take a moment to write a review on amazon.com :)

Reply to
larwe

It's finally arrived! I've got 50 pages left of the Peter Kay autobiography to go and then I'm in. I shall certainly put a review on Amazon as long as the right level of bribery is offered ;-)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Glad you gave me the heads-up; I'll go around my neighborhood Saturday night and pick up bottles for the deposit. Don't you know all authors are starving in rat-infested garrets?

(Actually, my lab /is/ on the second floor, and /is/ rat-infested. I bought my wife two lab rats for her last birthday; they live on a shelf in my workspace. I think they will be filing their first patent in a week or two).

Reply to
larwe

Didn't the author say ARM (usually a 32 bit system)?

and one at the other end of the scale using Linux

more like reality, the open source folks also have to eat :)

Reply to
Marco

"An Embedded Software Primer" by David E. Simon is good not great

Marco

Okay to get sofware IP for free but their IP they want to be rewarded for.

Sorry its Friday and my inhibitors are failing

Reply to
Walter Banks

In article , Walter Banks writes

Actually I have a PDF of the book..... can I post it around ? :-)