RE Bigpond news server

Until it's privatised and gets even worse. Then you can compare what *was* with what is. Just like the banks, electricity, public transport etc.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

I thought Aussat was taken over by Telecom before the OTC merger. It may have been the same time.

I don't think there was any connection there?

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Right, once the decision is made they'd switch it off regardless.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

That's a problem when you don't make many calls and still have to pay $49 a month because that is the expiry time for credits. There are far cheaper options for those making few calls, but as I said, nowhere near the same coverage.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

And they were still known as Telecom Australia - NOT AOTC - geddit? :-)

"The Australian and Overseas Telecommunications Corporation was established in 1992 after a merger took place between the Overseas Telecommunications Commission and the Australian Telecommunications Corporation. The Corporation continued to be known as Telecom Australia. In 1993 the Corporation changed its name, becoming the Telstra Corporation Limited."

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Maybe you had an MP live in your suburb.

Regards,
Noddy.
Reply to
Noddy

Well, kinda. Things are very different today but it's across the board.

Regards,
Noddy.
Reply to
Noddy

Everything.

private profit is

What would be a legitimate example of competition actually making something worse?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Maybe but competition in a lot of areas is increasing and service is getting worse, competition can cause downward pressure on prices so no money left for good service which is certainly so in the cleaning industry. Some companies under quote then do a crap job, they usually don't keep their contracts long but they put pressure on other business's that quote properly.

See above, competition is usually good for consumers where price is the main consideration but it doesn't always deliver the best service.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Yeah but that's bad for the business. We're talking about what's good for the customer.

It doesn't, but then these days service doesn't seem to be related to price like it used to be.

Regards,
Noddy.
Reply to
Noddy

I have a second phone with a vodaphone sim which cost $2 and $20 recharge for 12 months the whole lot discounted 10% (although you have to put up with vodaphone coverage)

Reply to
F Murtz

my phone cost $49 all up, it is prepaid my credit expires in 2115

Reply to
Dechucka

And their constant bombarding you with TXT messages advertising other services.

I used to have Vodaphone 12 month expiry on the spare phones in the cars. As they have been expiring I;'ve been switching to Amaysim - Optus network and you only pay for what you use - no use, no bill. In fact if your use is under $15 they just roll it into the following month. And, unlike vodaphone, data works.

Reply to
Blue Heeler

actually ICMP I use tcptraceroute when I want to know what's going on with traffic pointed at a particular service, it uses TCP packets.

that won't tell you if it's alive if it's unreachable, due to some sort of routing error or firewall. tcptraceroute will tell you where your packets are reaching, this information is potentially useful to the people who need to fix the mess.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I pinged it and it tried 4 times then said timed out, I then telnetted it and it said could not open connection to the host on port 119

Does this mean the bigpond news server server exists but not working, just need ammo when the case worker finally gets back to me.

Reply to
F Murtz

So nothing in particular then.

Gas, electricity, water, public transport, telephone.... do I really need to go on?

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Right, exactly as I said, you pay a HIGH price for Telstra coverage, even if you don't use it much. I would be happier to pay a high price only for the calls I actually make.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Or a month after you actually start using it.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

It probably means the mx records reflect what previously existed but being down the server wont respond in spite of the mx claiming otherwise

basically fecked

--

Reply to
atec77

On 4/05/2013 7:29 PM, atec77 wrote: [SNIP]

An MX record has nothing to do with a news server name being correct. MX records are for *mail* handling.

It's just an A record, that's all.

Which doesn't change the basic point that telstra collectively have less than no clue.

Cheers, Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't  really mean it.