Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

Hi, all

Hope someone can give me an advise.

I installed Netgear RP614 router for someone. They use Bigpond cable and need to connect two PCs. Done it about hundred times before, but this one is giving me grey hair.

Installed and worked OK ... for about 5 minutes. No Internet conenction then. Reset modem and router and get it back for 5 minutes or so. Found both PCs to be badly infected. Cleaned both.

Put eveything back together -- all is fine. Few hours later get a phone call. This time something has happened to the router itself. It keeps resetting itself and will not give IP to the PCs. I could not not even get to the admin interface reliably.

Well, got a enw router and all looked perfect. Few hours later another phone call. Will go and see tonight what has happened.

Same problem on both machines. Cabling seem in order. Internet works when modem is connected directly.

Any ideas what can go so badly wrong? I do not have much hair left.

Thanks, Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

I had a similar problem a while ago. One computer had been connected to the modem using the USB connection and then I interposed a Netgear router so I could add another computer. If I remember correctly everything worked on the second computer if the first computer was not connected. And, yes, I had disabled the Bigpond client on the first computer. A Google Groups search located someone who had suffered a similar problem but there was no follow up solution so I emailed her to ask what she had done.

You won't like the answer. The problem went away for her after she reinstalled XP so I tried it and it worked for me too! A long winded way of saying I have no idea what the problem is but there may be a very inconvenient "solution".

Reply to
David Segall

Could be both claiming the same ip of trying to be a domain controller dependant on the version.

Reply to
atec 77

I don't understand that sentence. In theory only the router is connected to Bigpond so there is no "both". The router includes the Bigpond cable client. The router is providing "both" local network addresses but that was not the problem since it worked correctly after the XP reinstall. I did try several other connections including using the cable client on the "first" computer and turning it off in the router but none of them fixed the problem or gave me a clue as to what the problem might be.

Reply to
David Segall

is

both

phone

I haven't used this particular model, but I've had problems with several Netgear products. These ranged from bad power supplies (overheating and releasing smoke) to a unit that would reset itself after a certain amount of traffic had gone through it (smelt like an overflow problem somewhere).

Are you able to get to the router admin page with nothing else connected? Are you able to access the BigPond cable/Internet from the router diagnostics? Is the router also acting as a DHCP server? Does the unit have the current firmware in it?

Reply to
swanny

I have replaced the router witha known working one and latest firmware.

Anyway, I hope I solved the problem -- got rid of f@#$ Norton Security on both machines. Was holding up whole day yesterday. Will wait few days before claoming to be a complete fix, though. Seems that i got the unlucky combination with faulty router, spyware/viruses and Norton all adding to the problem. I keep my fingers crossed.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf