Hedy Lamarr

I just watched a doco on Hedy Lamarr. In 1966 she was charged with shoplifting $86 worth of items. The case went to a jury trial lasting 6 days. Are they kidding? Is that a good use of the justice system? I can't believe it.

P.S. The bare facts given suggested that she was guilty but she apparently put on a marvellous performance and was acquitted. She became rich later when her radio frequency hopping invention, patented in 1942 and intended to guide torpedos, was used by mobile phones, though they didn't say whether the money came from the patent or just because she became famous once more.

Reply to
DavidW

They never tell the full story..

Reply to
Peter Jason

Forerunner of CDMA Govt of the day wasn't interested.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks for your comment. I always enjoy a good discusion on legal cases and the courts.

Reply to
DavidW

If it was patented in 1942 the patent expired in 1962

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

"David Wanker"

** A jury trial for a small offence is rare - and only happens at the insistence of the accused who must bare the dramatically increased cost.
** Every citizen has the basic right to be judged by their peers - rather than some pompous, corrupt git in a wig.

Despite what moronic f*ck heads like you might think.

** Bollocks.

All patents have time limits.

Circa 20 years max unless something unusual ( like a war) prevents the patent being exploited by the holder.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Once again you are wrong, Phil. Wikipedia says so: "In 1998, Ottawa wireless technology developer Wi-LAN Inc. acquired a 49 percent claim to the patent from Lamarr for an undisclosed amount of stock"

Reply to
DavidW

"David Wanker is a LIAR "

** I am never wrong - you psycho f****it pile of excrement !!!

What Wiki actually says is:

" The idea was not implemented in the USA until 1962, when it was used by U.S. military ships during a blockade of Cuba after the

***patent had expired***.

Perhaps owing to this lag in development, the patent was little known until 1997, when the Electronic Frontier Foundation gave Lamarr an award for this contribution. In 1998, Ottawa wireless technology developer Wi-LAN Inc. acquired a 49 percent claim to the patent from Lamarr for an undisclosed amount of stock. "

WiLan Inc is a Canadian company that collects old and expired patents and scams people.

Not one, single thing you posted was true.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So? That doesn't make the line I posted untrue.

How does it scam people when it is the buyer? "I'll buy your worthless patent for such-and-such amount of stock." Great scam!

Reply to
DavidW