OT: Work environments...

I had a chance on the weekend to take a tour of the new Sydney Water building in Parramatta before it opens.

Wow!, I've got work environment envy now :-(

It's one smart building indeed, lots of techno gadgets included to make it smart and user friendly. Things like fully automated conference rooms. Put a piece of paper down on the desk in a specific marked location and it automatically gets projected onto the big screen, the blinds drop, and the lights dim etc.

The "chilled beam" air-con system is terrific too, with fresh air pumped through the open metal mesh ceiling tiles constantly. You feel like someones left all the doors and windows open it's so fresh.

I won't even mention the workstations and office space, but you might as well be working from your living room at home.

I was excited about our company moving into a brand spanking new purpose designed building next week, but now I know it's just not going to cut the mustard. The lab is one floor down and on the opposite side of the building from my desk for starters...

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Only the best when you're a regulated monopoly. All you have to do is justify the expenditure to the regulator, and the customers will have to pay for it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Wrong. The move will save Sydney Water money in many ways.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

They could apparently have saved more money by having less luxurious accomodation and facilities.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not by any really significant amount, no.

And anyway the building is a showpiece, designed to demonstrate water/energy efficiency and sustainability etc.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

LOL

Reply to
MisterE

What's so funny about that? If you don't care about that sort of thing, then fine, but to those that do it's actualy pretty cool, and a very well implemented example.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Does it have a lower total cost of ownership, or is it merely demonstrating how energy and water consumption can be reduced if you have access to other people's money to cover the required capital?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

As a result of those features?, yes, I'm lead to believe that's the case here.

This might come as a surprise to you, but a lot of this stuff doesn't cost extra, and in fact can be cheaper if you plan it right. Talking to the builders rep they said these sorts of systems are getting more common because they can in fact be cheaper to implement up front as well as save you money on running costs, help the environment, and provide a better working environment. Can be a winner all-round if you get it right.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Except, there are almost certainly better ways of achieving the same goals.

Reply to
terryc

Sydney water, what are they going to do in that building, work on more water saving stickers? find new ways to screw your water bill? Yeah I can see they needed a new building for that.

Reply to
Giggs

Would you like to complain about the high price of water too while you're at it?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Reply to
Giggs

No. Many people actually pay a lot less than what it actually costs to distribute it to them.

Of course. You are not from NSW?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I hate to live in a broken ass state where the governemt has to ask Rudd for money to bail them out. How does it feel living in a state that actually didn't have a boom and instead just went into recesson before the rest of the world...... still glad that Sydney water have such a nice building to do nothing in.

Reply to
Giggs

A lot of people make up for this shortfall by buying bottled water at a price higher than petrol...

Reply to
Swanny