OT: What's this type of bracket called?

Ordinary electrical conduit is generally Polyvinyl Chloride, or PVC.

Noddy

It is? Maybe in the dim dark past, these days its plastic.

--
Daryl
Reply to

Not these days but it wasn't suitable for the task anyway as it was split rolled steel conduit.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

Where do you guys live where they allow plastic conduit? In New York I've never seen it.

You think rolled would break down the seem if you flatten the end? A hole drilled on the sides first would keep a crack from spreading.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

----------------------------------

** BEWARE - mad pommy bitch, sickening narcissist and fug ugly nudist Sylvia Else has posted this same tripe across maybe 5 news groups.

Using GGs makes it hard for me to tell just how many.

Means every rabid nutter on usenet will add his two cents worth.

Peeeeukkkeee ...

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Different countries, different rules. Been the norm here in *housing* for decades.

The rolled type formerly used in housing here was open seamed, the rolled ends coming together but not welded. I haven't seen it in use for decades now.

A mate works as a *hazardous area gaseous environment* inspector in the petroleum industry and they use threaded steel conduit exclusively with all connectors being gas sealed along with all junction boxes, instrument cabinets and the like. All electrical equipment must be isolated from the atmosphere due to the potential presence of flammable gases. Everything electrical is sealed up tight to isolate sparks from the general environment.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

They even install steel conduit here for low voltage wiring in many places, but usually not for the whole distance. They could use plastic but apparently choose not to. Our steel conduit looks seemless in some cases, and with a smooth welded seem in others.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Believe it or not, there is life West of the Hudson. It's New York that's half a century behind the times.

Reply to
krw

You *know* who suggested annealing Noddy. Sylvia was, quite naturally, thinking along the same lines. But thanks for proving yet again that you read *e v e r y s i n g l e w o r d I w r i t e*

Complex? Who are you kidding? The *process* is detailed on the link *I* provided. Hardly complex, except maybe to you.

The method of temperature assessment provided in the link serves to determine the *appropriate* temperature regardless of the grade of aluminium.

FWIW, the correct term is *ductility*.

All annealing, regardless of the material requires heating to near melting point. That is the whole point of the annealing process - heat the material *above* its *crystalisation temperature*. Any material that is extruded is work hardened so annealing serves to normalise the crystal lattice. The aim here is to improve the ductility of the material.

How do you know what the task is? It wasn't detailed.

Work hardening will make most metals more brittle. Aluminium, in its normalised state, is quite a ductile material.

One could ask why you intend to waste money on restoring a rusty car body that has absolutely no cachet, its only value being as scrap metal at Sims.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

Australia.

Reply to
Clocky

It does seem a little old fashioned to only be using steel conduit.

Reply to
Clocky

You will find, in most cases of variation, that it is local ordinances that are the cause.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

Yes, even plumbers use plastic piping these days.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

We have had that for several decades.

Electricians here have an art for bending steel conduit exactly the way they need it. With plastic I suppose they need to assemble more pieces and use a selection of standard bends.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

When I was a wee tacker, my family was in the building business and I used to see all sorts of things. Back then the conduit I saw couldn't be bent since it would kink and split open. It had, like the plastic conduit, premade bends and connectors with, IIRC, inbuilt clamps to connect to adjacent pieces. I'm going back a good 50 years there though and that was in business premises, not residential.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

They used to use both split and welded seam but stopped split a long time ago which had special fittings with screw clamps ,they still use screwed steel conduit in special areas like flameproof and for mechanical protection in industry.

Reply to
FMurtz

It can be bent also.

Reply to
FMurtz

Yeah, I haven't seen it for yonks. It was common enough when I was a kid but as rare as rocking horse turds now.

When my mate was staying here for a few weeks, he gave me a lot of info on what went on in those environments - critical stuff. Probably why he gets $300k per year. He only works part time these days however since he now lives in China. Doing a job on Barrow Island, $65k for 6 weeks.

--

Xeno

       (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Reply to
Xeno

Jeez!! I've never seen such a fuss about a simple bracket. How hard could it be ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

This is Sylvia you're talking about. She'll make 200 posts about the stickiness of glue on the back of a stamp.

Noddy