Looking for search term of this type cable

Two separate coax with a third braid over both of those. Thanks, Mikek PS. Not my excellent ascii artwork. Hope the font works! - - - | | | | - | | | | Signal(+) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Inner Shield | | | +-------------------------------------------------#----+ | | | | | Probe/ | | | | | Sensor | | | | | Meter | | Inner Shield | | | +-------------------------------------------------#----# | | | | | | | | | | | Signal(-) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | - | | | | - | | | | | | | Outer braid & GND | |

As a bonus question: Note how all coax's are connected to the connectors* at "only" one end. How could I figure out which end that is, without disassembling the cable. I tried to disassemble, doesn't come apart.

*OK, no connectors shown, but there is one on both ends.
Reply to
amdx

There is twinax, which is a twisted pair inside an overall shield.

But shields and signal conductors are usually connectorized on both ends. Some people like to not connect shields on one end, which is a great way to get huge RF common-mode trash on your signals.

What sort of signal do you have? Is it balanced/differential?

Precision electronic instrumentation

HDMI cables are a good alternative. Good ones have excellent shielding--braid over foil outer shield, foil + drain over the twisted pairs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Double-shielded RJ45/CAT5 is nice too. That is CAT5 S/STP or S/FTP. You can get affordable cables, stock or custom, in almost any length. We use it in a number of products, for both digital and analog signals, usually fully differential.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I'd think low noise instrument cable or something like that...

TDR should be able to tell which end is grounds-shorted. The open end has a higher impedance (the two inner shields have impedance to each other and to the outer shield, which adds to the signal-to-signal impedance) until the shield-short reflects back, whereas they're shorted right away from the other end (give or take a blip for how they're shorted, like if they're linked with a wire instead of the braids being combined).

Even if it's not standard, if you need a few thousand feet, I'm sure NEWT would make you some. ;)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

I'll let you tell me, but I think it would be called differential. Here is a link to the schematic, but note when I put that schematic together I didn't draw in the cable, so obviously, it is between the probe and input. This is the probe and front end of a Boonton 92EA RF meter. Yes, it has connectors at both ends. Amphenol 80-MC2F type.

Someone suggested a VGA cable, but I don't know the innards of such, I pulled this Super VGA up on ebay, my dilemma would be aluminum braid, I couldn't solder it to the connectors.

Thanks for the help, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I might use 20 ft. :-) Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It's a common trick in instrumentation to ground shields at only one end, to prevent ground loop currents from flowing in the shields. These are not RF systems, and are usually differential high impedance (think instrumentation amps).

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn