Opinion on these PSU designs

I recently came across these replacement power supplies for retro computers made in the states for their market but also available as an Australian version:

and specifically

Is it just me or is the A/C input fuse way too close to the case which think is metal. Other construction issues (I think there are a few).

Issues selling this PSU in Australia in terms of needing certification or anything?

Reply to
Clocky

yeah, that does look close, with it that tight I'd expect to see fire-resistant card or plastic between the fuse and the case. but the case is grounded so any short circuit will not conduct for long. also perspective may be making it appear closer than it actually is.

Only if you get caught.

the guy who assembled it seems to have soldered to terminals instead of using the apropriate plugs.

If it's of any interest the board in there could be a "Mean Well PT-65B" retail price less than $30

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Yeah true, I'll quiz him on it. Perhaps there is something stuck to the inside of the case.

I would have used the correct plugs or taken the extra five minutes to desolder the plugs and solder the wires directly to the board. Those glass output fuses should be in those plastic insulating housings for mine, but maybe that's just being picky.

It is, thank you for your comments.

Reply to
Clocky

** Whoever made those dangerous PSUs is an ever bigger idiot than you are.

** All external PSUs need full agency approval before going on sale here - as they are on the "declared" or "prescribed" items list.

But a Yank can sell you anything as YOU are the importer.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Care to elaborate as to why they are dangerous in your opinion, toaster boy?

So no worries there then. But obviously resale wouldn't be allowed.

Reply to
Clocky

Hmmm. So the Amiga PSU that's been taking up space in a drawer for decades might be worth something?

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Probably not, there is a reason why people are looking to replace them.

Reply to
Clocky

I thought that it might be that they are worn out after decades of use? The one I have was part of the whole kit and kaboodle that I got as part of a job lot, still in a huge display box with polystyrene insert and all peripherals that worked perfectly and had seen little use (mouse feet not worn at all, no dust....). It looked for all the world like a rich person had bought it, possibly for a kid, who then found little to no use for it.

I kept it for a while but then moved house and, after trying unsuccessfully to sell it, offered it free on a couple forums. When there were no takers it had to go - but I kept the PSU as I often find myself in need of a DC source and thought I might re-purpose it. 10+ years on I still haven't....

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Not so much that, it's mostly that the caps fail, and that is a bigger problem on supplies that *don't* see regular use. On some, like the A1200 supply, it is filled with resin so repair isn't even possible.

The

I don't know what model you had, if it was white and quite compact it was likely an A1200 and they go for $250+ quite regularly on Ebay today and you certainly would have had takers 10 years ago. OTOH an A500 10 years ago was worth bugger all - they're worth more now.

Is the power supply white or a kind of cream colour (and quite large?)?

Reply to
Clocky

I'm fairly sure it was an A500. However what I thought made it more valuable is that is was in it's original large display box covered with cheesy pics of the whole family having fun with it - and there were brochures, pamphlets and the original documentation. Also it appeared from the original list of 'what's in the box' everything was there, in pristine condition (as well as a couple optional extras including lots of programme and game discs).

Yep. Commodore Power Supply P/No 312503-05, S/No 0990.

LOL, when I went to find it just now I see I still have a Commodore 64 PSU as well. I guess it's time I threw these things out.

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Oops, I deleted your other message. Instead of throwing them out you could put them on ebay or gumtree and get a few $ for them.

Better to recycle than dump isn't it?

Reply to
Clocky

Once upon a time on usenet Clocky wrote: [snip]

I've tried that in the past - in fact I tried that with the A500 complete set with a $10 reserve. Not much luck previously but I might try again. Freight is the killer with low-priced stuff. :-/

Oh very much so. That's why I still have them, hoping to find a use or home for them.

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Yes, and getting more expensive all the time. Amiga 500's were a dime a dozen and are still cheap, but the A500 power supply is a better alternative to the standard A1200 one as it has better output and is repairable so you might do better selling that by itself.

Connectors are the same, so nothing to modify.

You would surely find someone on the Lemon64 or LemonAmiga forums to take them as there are a number of active users on there from all over Australia.

Reply to
Clocky

Handy to know, thanks.

Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that I'm in NZ? ;)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

My fault, I just assumed ;-)

I think you will find some active Kiwi's on there too in any case.

Reply to
Clocky