MSY targeted by ACCC

Nope, about time to make an example for other retailers to finally take heed of.

You obviously haven't tried "standing up" for your rights with many retailers, unless you really do have unlimited time to take them all to small claims?

They should do both, it should not be an "either or situation". At the moment they appear to do neither :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It rarely gets that far. You just need to show that you know what your rights are.

They don't have an unlimited supply of staff or money, and chasing people requires both.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You obviously haven't tried arguing with an Asian then who has NO idea of your rights, and cares FAR less, even assuming they can even understand English!!! I have many times unfortunately. Success rate is VERY low, same as most other people I know.

Of course, that's what we pay taxes for! However simply fine the offenders more and use the money to pay the costs, and it all becomes self funding. They can even make a *huge* profit if they wanted too, just like they do with traffic offences/fines. They simply choose not to bother. And don't say the system isn't *currently* set up that way. Of course it isn't, but could be if the wanted.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

If you're having this problem often enough to support your claim of "many times", it suggests you're not choosing your suppliers very well.

Imposing fines is not that simple. It will often involve a prosecution, with requirements to have evidence to support proof beyond reasonable doubt. The amount of the fine will then be determined by a court, and may easily not cover the costs of mounting the case.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Well we can't all be clairvoyant. It would help if the Consumer Affairs and DFT did a better job.

What a magistrate determines is sufficient evidence is often the same as most other peoples "reasonable doubt".

Rubbish, the courts are well trained in what is expected of them with traffic fines, plenty of revenue is made there. It's simply a lack of will on the part of governments.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

of

ers

g.

t say

ould

While that might sound fine in theory - it doesn't work that way in the real world.

Reply to
kreed