Low Cost Hardware Flaoting Point processor? whats available

I hate to bring electroncis back into this newsgroup, but I need to find a low cost FPU to interface to a Rabbit 2000 processor. Having done no embedded hardware design in the last 3-4 years I have found myself already drifing away from current trends.

As for the exact precision, no sure at this stage. Still investigating and open on this one. I prefer to avoid DSP's if at all possible and need something that will interface to an 8 bit wide General IO port on the rabbit, so bitbashing serial would also be fine.

All i can find on google is ARM's and DSP's, which are a bit of an overkill. If it comes to this a complete redisgn will be done, which I would dearly love to avoid.

Suggestions?

Andy

Reply to
The Real Andy

I am sure you asked google, and found this already

Brad Hogan

I had a look at this, but I have noticed that they supply no timing specs, which leaves me a bit hesitant. I have emailed them, so I will se what they send back before I pass judgement.

The other problem i see it that they look like quite a small operations, which worries me a little. Considering I will only be needing around 150-200 units, this may or may not present a problem

Reply to
The Real Andy

Its looking like I may need double precision, so the suggested device is out of the question. Its looking more and more like a DSP solution is needed.

Reply to
The Real Andy

How about one of the 18 series PICs running at max. clock (40MHz?) and doing it in software? Don't Microchip also do a pseudo DSP PIC?

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

Well, then I guess you have already consulted google and found a comparision between the micromegacorp unit and some other units, and there will be the info , so I wont bother.

Reply to
Brad Hogan

I presume you have time invested in the Rabbit code. How about a small DSPIC as a floating point accelerator. Not sure how large the FP lib is, but an SPI-based accelerator isn't out of the question, without messing with your Rabbit too much.

There are a few DSPICs in low vol production-friendly packages.

Then you're poised for a complete redesign to DSPIC next time.... :-)

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

investigating

on

If you are happy with a bit banged serial/8bit parallel interface then I presume that throughput isn't a primary factor? Are you offloading single calculations, or performing a bunch of calcs at once and then returning a result? For former is best done in the Rabbit in real time otherwise the overhead will likely be too much. The later is best served by a second processor or DSP rather than a dedicated FPU chip I would suspect. I guess that's why there ain't too many dedicated FPU chips these days.

How about a second Rabbit processor, it ain't no slouch in the FP department. Rabbit's aren't cheap modules though I suppose. Or else a DSPIC as someone else mentioned. I haven't used the Rabbit for a few years now, but I vaguely remember about dual procesor capability where you could tie the two together?

I remember many (4-5) years ago there being a pre-programmed PIC chip which was a dedicated serial interfaced FPU, but I can't remeber the name or find the link...

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

and

which

then

calcs

The

too

where

Found it:

uM-FPU

Don't think it's the exact one I remember, but is the same thing.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Doh. Already listed and discussed. Guess that'll teach me to read the whole thread!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones