Re: USB Hardware Advice...

I was in a similar situation and decided to use TCP/IP over ethernet
instead.  Dealing with and possibly having to create my own USB driver on
the Windows PC side was more than I wanted to bite off.  Winsock on the PC
is easy and you get a lot more cable length with ethernet.

custom

Re: USB Hardware Advice...
Cheers Steve, I did think of this as an alternative. I guess it would make
the h/w s/w layer easier to handle, especially as I'm hoping to do things
in Java.

Do you have any recommendations on the hardware side of things. Did you use
a dedicated ethernet Controller IC, or did you find a handy uC with one
built in (which would be very nice).

Unfortunately time on this project is a real issue. I hate having to skirt
around projects without fully understand whats going on 'under the hood'.
But I think I'm going to have to go with a quick, easy and dirty solution.

Thanks
Andy

Re: USB Hardware Advice...
For a quick USB solution check out several simple cores from
www.ftdichip.com, www dlpdesign.com or the www.usbee.com.

For the network solution, go get a Net Burner or Rabbit Semiconductor
core. look at the adds in circuit cellar or nuts and volts mag.

Tom Woodrow
www.dacworks.com

Re: USB Hardware Advice...

use

You mention Java, and looking  for somehting quick.

Have a look at the maxim DS80C400, there are boards with ethernet etc on
them and it supports Java.

First 8051 I have ever been interested in.

Ralph

Re: USB Hardware Advice...

We use a ST7F652 from STM what is full speed USB (12 Mbit). This seems to
require less HW resource than TCP/IP and Ethernet. To avoid writing own
windows drivers we use the buildt - in OS drivers for HID what works well
with interupt transfers. For bulk transfers you can use the mass storage
drivers of the OS and you are also ready with Linux and Apple. To study
the USB standards and write own firmware from the scratch (I did not use
the STM libraries) took me about 6 weeks. I dont like the FTDI chips
becouse it is additional HW chip and not well documented. I first thought
about emulating a FTDI chip and use the FTDI drivers but there is no
information on how the chip is working (just to use as a black box) to
avoid the people from taking the FTDI driver and not buying a FTDI chip.

Re: USB Hardware Advice...

http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html
and
http://www.dontronics.com/giga.html
may help you.

--
Don McKenzie  E-mail:    http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
              Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

Re: USB Hardware Advice...

My USB pages have many links to development boards, articles, code
examples,  etc.

I would look at:

FTDI for full-speed bulk transfers using their driver.

Mass storage class using the OS drivers except for Win98 gold.

HID class is probably too slow, except possibly at high speed
(requires USB 2.0).

For Ethernet + Java, see the TINI at www.dalsemi.com and
www.systronix.com.

Jan Axelson