kids and vintage technology

Kids and vintage technology

Kids from a school in Québec, Canada, are in front of 80s 90s generation technologies have to find what are those objects used for.

Cheers Don...

==============

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I've never seen that square yellow box with the plunger on top either. I think it said it was an 8-track cartridge player. I've heard of 8-track cartridges, but never seen a player like that.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which probably influences my opinions.

ion

I have not seen one like this either only front loading ones, they were also used in cars.

IIRC the tape was in an endless loop, and the button (probably the plunger) was used to change tracks. The tape was fed out of the centre of single the tape reel, past the heads, pinch roller then back onto the outside of the roll. The tape reel free wheeled, it wasn't driven from the centre like on a normal cassette

There were 4 "sides" - 8 tracks (4 stereo pairs.) I don't know if you could fast forward but you definitely cannot rewind.

The button would step the tape heads down across the tape to access a different stereo pair of tracks when it reached the bottom it would jump back up and start over when the button was pressed. Due to the size of this button, it probably was mechanically stepped. Some more expensive units were done using a solenoid driven step mechanism. IIRC some of them had buttons marked 1,2,3,4 and pressing them would take it automatically to the desired track rather than having to press a single button multiple times.

Reply to
kreed

n technologies have to find what are those

You could also take a look at this if you want to feel old ;)

Reply to
kreed

I've only seen 8-track players in cars. Can't recall any standalone ones.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which probably influences my opinions.
Reply to
annily

I had one way back when the daily was an hk327

--
Reply to
atec77

technologies have to find what are those

The black kid had the turntable figured out, doing a little scratching!

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Enough stereotyping please!

Reply to
Dennis

ration technologies have to find what are those

They should have figured that one out easily, there are plenty of music videos in recent years that show them using turntables and scratching :)

Reply to
kreed

ion

Tandy (radio shack) used to have them in their catalogue even in the late 1970's, but I never owned one as even earlier on it was clear that the Compact Cassette that we still? use now was the way that the consumer were going. Lack of rewind and Fast Forward ? probably didn't help.

Can't remember if standalone 8 track units recorded as well, don't see why they wouldn't be able to.

Tandy's units may have gone under the brand "Realistic" but am not sure now.

Reply to
kreed

Stand-alone decks were quite common. Back in the '70's I had a couple of

8-track decks which could record.

Akai had a high-end open-reel deck with an 8-track in the side for dubbing your favorite tracks.

?
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer