Jaycar - Business opportunity?

History repeating itself.... Looks like Jaycar is following the path of Tandy (and later Dick Smith, after they successfully filled the void for a while) with their prices slowly increasing and them selling increasing amounts of novelties and toys. What is going to fill the void for enthusiasts and professionals next?

Their latest catologue is half devoted to gimmicks and novelties. That junk obviously sells, or they wouldn't be selling it, but I've gotta wonder who the hell buys it?

Reply to
Tom Smyth

And you expect them to survive on Hobby Electronics sales alone? Dont forget, there is also electus that props up the business, so i doubt the electronics will be going anywhere too soon.

Besides, if you want a real variety of stuff in hobby quantities you would be shopping at Farnell or RS.

Reply to
The Real Andy

What is wrong with Jaycar? Yes they sell all the novelty toys, but their component range doesn't appear to be reducing at all. In fact it's probably expanding. I have not noticed any price rise out of the ordinary.

Who will fill the void for enthusiasts? Altronics will be more than happy to do that, their range is getting very good and they are opening stores in other states now. The Sydney store is excellent.

Who will fill the void for professionals? Farnell & RS and smaller players like WES have that market sown up.

I'm waiting to see what happens with SonarPlus/Polykom and Electus (Jaycars wholesale division) given that SonarPlus is now basically stocking Electus items. Jaycars Gary Johnson owns the lot.

The general public lap it up.

Is this the 2006 catalog you are referring too? Haven't seen it myself yet.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

There are 2 entities in Sonar which Jaycar have purchased.

Sonar and Sonar Plus..... Sonar plus looks like Electus... well the catalogue does.... and probably 2 administration systems and etc.

so I can see them converging in to one... (consolidation)

JG

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

They are pretty much asshats these days. I went in with a list of ICs and components because it always take me ages to find everything and they werent real pleased about serving me at all and said I should put in a mail/fax order etc. The prices are bad enough as it is on eletronic components, I just shop at farnell now, only a tad move expensive and will ship to me overnight every time for just 8$

Reply to
DAC

(snip)

Here in the west we have a well-kept secret - Wordlwide Electronics. He caters for mainly commercial customers but still sells in hobby quantities. I think the only item with an MOQ is 10 for 1/4W resistors.

Mike carries all the normal range of semis, caps etc etc and his prices are more than competitive with the Altronics/Jaycar. I think his overnight courier stuff is around $8 too - never needed it because I go past often enough.

Interesting thing - his semis are all name brand suppliers, not cheapest chinese stuff like the rest of them.

Has a catalog system you can download.

budgie

I remember an episode of The Office pointing out how awful those talking dolls are, and a few months later Jaycar starts stocking the exact same crap - I hate both them and the mouth-breathing morons who find them amusing, but if it keeps the shop in business then I guess I have to live with it.

What about Futurlec -

I haven't tried them yet, but their prices and range seem good.

Reply to
Poxy

They are in Thailand but the deliveries are fast and reasonable cheap - I bought a few times and cannot fault them.

Reply to
Tom

You would be surprised how many *professionals* add the toys to their work order hidden as a part number. Mike

Reply to
Mike

Tom wrote in news:Fi3Pf.2808$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:

How to you get payment to them? I'll be buggered if I'd risk sending credit card details to SE Asia.

GB

Reply to
GB

You can send them a cheque/money order to Aus/UK/US office - look at the website.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have done a dozen or more transactions with Futurlec over the last few years. Initially I had your reservations, and wound up faxing the CC info to their .au contact point. (The sales mgr (Alan Bonnard) is an ex-pat aussie.) On recent deals I just point them to a previous order# and it all happens. Never had a drama, and I've leaned to live with paranoia.

Reply to
budgie

The risk is exactly the same as for a merchant in Australia. As long as their site is secure you have little to worry about, Futurlec are a reputable business.

Credit cards are safe, the risk is completely with the merchant, not the consumer. If it does get stolen and you report any fraudulent transactions you won't have to pay a cent. At worst it's an inconvienience to get a new card.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

caters

think

Glad Mike's still going.

Is he still in Geoge St? It was nice and close to me in Bentley where I got the 72 bus to Berwick St and walked down (or was it up?) the hill and he opens up fairly early.

Along with the cheapest transistors, he was about the only supplier of

2N3866/4427 (DSE stopped them) and goodies like the MC3362 that became the basis of numerous receivers and transmitters.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Parker

"David L. Jones" wrote in news:1141781110.920199.259670 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Not quite, but approximately so.

To some extent, it's a reputational thing. The comments that you, Tom and budgie make help satisfy that issue. I wouldn't go in cold, but with anecdotes of satisfaction...

GB

Reply to
GB

I believe Mike is no longer with us and his wife now runs the shop. If I am wrong I apologise for any distress but that's what I heard.

They still have a pretty large stock but the shop is (physically) about half the size now.

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

Yep, still there And that would be UP)

I've had three kids go through Kent St - the last is currently in Yr12 - so if I need bits there and don't want to use the courier I drop him off or pick him up as the case might be, providing a bit of extra purpose.

I often check the pricing of the "others" and then conclude that Mike's often half their price esp. on IC's.

"Rumours of my death have been slightly exaggerated".

Nah, he's going strong and improving by the day. He had serious (but operable) cancer, and during the hospitalisation phase and some follow-ups Sue ran the place. She's in there now quite a bit still.

The landlord forced a move two doors northwards, which meant his "disposals" section had to go. Pity, there was always some interesting "junque" there.

Reply to
budgie

I'm glad he's still going! Obviously bad information I got from whoever told me.

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 05:45:00 GMT, "Tom Smyth" put finger to keyboard and composed:

What can a hobbyist build that China can't supply ready made for half the price? Not much, I'd say.

As for careers in electronics, I think ultimately all design will be done offshore. So what will there be left for "professionals" to do, except to emigrate?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Retire.

Tom