Jaycar.

It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers are looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

Reply to
keithr0

Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store, the way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic components?

Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Sylvia Else wrote

Those operations didn't do it to Dick Smith.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I get most of my stuff from china, but, if I need something now, I'll go to Jaycar because it's 20 minutes away. I'd rather go to Altronics, but that's half way to Brisbane ans at leas 45 minutes drive.

Reply to
keithr0

Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC) starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?

Rubbish.

Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something and it doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.

We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and are happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders and not charge additional freight.

Reply to
Clocky

**Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were caught out. Jaycar were kind enough to refund their purchase price, but not the time spent fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates got caught out, when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts. He lost 4 hours chasing his tail.
**Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up again. Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and if I need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from them. However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are from WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either. I was caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.
**Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up. I do.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson wrote: ================

** DSE had the same numbers with "TIC" branded parts in the 1980s. Sold thousands of re-branded scrap transistors as being genuine - both in kits and over the counter. Did it again in the 2000s with fake Motorola branded MJ15003/4 that were useless. Rod Irving did the same and Jaycar was caught with hundreds of the same fakes. WES had thousands of TO3 fakes in stock , maybe still do.

All were result of *reckless* purchasing practises and totally clueless staff. Ebay is also flooded with fake TO3 and flat pack parts for audio.

BTW Don't buy Jarcar Digital Panel Meter QP5585. They are rejects and fail completely in a few months.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's why they exist.

*None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits so you really haven't made your point.

So source your parts from you ISO9001 suppliers and good luck but it doesn't change the fact Jaycar are handy for hobbyists, their target customers and everyone else who needs something urgently you included. So your "Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades." is absolutely rubbish.

You would do well to be less absolute. People who are so certain of themselves often overlook things... I've seen it in my trade often enough and they often end up costing the customer more in charged time than it should have...

Reply to
Clocky

** False argument.

Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.

** Whereas YOU *never* had one at all.
** Whom they routinely piss on.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison wrote: ==============

** See recent vid on typical Sanken brand fakes from Ebay:

Even possible to buy fake electros too.

22uF, 500V axials turned out to be old 400V radial caps removed and re packaged from used CFLs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**YIKES!

Jaycar buyers will likely seek them out.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Daniel65 wrote

I don't but I didn't bill them for the replacement surveillance system or the plug pack and they still have my monitor.

They dont have ministers, they have officers.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Rod Speed wrote on 30/5/22 7:44 pm:

Yes, you are quite correct!

--
Daniel
Reply to

That does not mean they are immune to purchasing and selling recovered and remarked or fake parts.

They are clearly faked or remarked used transistors, noticed that as soon as soon as I saw them - no need for testing.

You can buy fake anything. A lot of the chips on Ebay and Aliexpress aren't fakes perse but have been recovered, sanded and remarked.

I can understand why they might remark a chip where a certain revision or date of manufacture is more desirable but sometimes it's just generic stuff so it's hard to know why they bother.

Reply to
Clocky

** It does actually - you lying, POS IDIOT.

** No such thing is clear.

noticed that as

** Testing is no proof of being genuine.
** I sure YOU can, but not me.

** Prove it. FOAD idiot.
Reply to
Phil Allison