Jaycar.

It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers are
looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

Re: Jaycar.

Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store, the
way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar.

**You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
components?

Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.

Re: Jaycar.
I get most of my stuff from china, but, if I need something now, I'll go
to Jaycar because it's 20 minutes away. I'd rather go to Altronics, but
that's half way to Brisbane ans at leas 45 minutes drive.

Re: Jaycar.

Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?

Rubbish.

Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something and it
doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.

We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and are
happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders and
not charge additional freight.

Re: Jaycar.

**Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught
selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the
manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were caught out. Jaycar were
kind enough to refund their purchase price, but not the time spent
fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates got caught out,
when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts. He lost 4 hours
chasing his tail.

**Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up
again. Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and
if I need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from them.
However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are from
WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either. I was
caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.

**Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up. I do.

Re: Jaycar.
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

** DSE had the same numbers with "TIC" branded parts in the 1980s.
    Sold thousands of re-branded scrap transistors as being genuine - both in kits and over the counter.
    Did it again in the 2000s with fake Motorola branded MJ15003/4 that were useless.
    Rod Irving did the same and Jaycar was caught with hundreds of the same fakes.
    WES had thousands of TO3 fakes in stock , maybe still do.

   All were result of *reckless* purchasing practises and totally clueless staff.
   Ebay is also flooded with fake TO3 and flat pack parts for audio.

  BTW
 Don't buy Jarcar Digital Panel Meter  QP5585.
 They are rejects and fail completely in a few months.

......   Phil

Re: Jaycar.

That's why they exist.

*None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits so you
really haven't made your point.

So source your parts from you ISO9001 suppliers and good luck but it
doesn't change the fact Jaycar are handy for hobbyists, their target
customers and everyone else who needs something urgently you included.
So your "Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for
decades." is absolutely rubbish.

You would do well to be less absolute. People who are so certain of
themselves often overlook things... I've seen it in my trade often
enough and they often end up costing the customer more in charged time
than it should have...

Re: Jaycar.
Clocky  =  Cockhead wrote:

**   False argument.

 Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.

** Whereas  YOU   *never*  had one at all.

**  Whom they routinely piss on.

.....   Phil

Re: Jaycar.
Phil Allison wrote:
==============

** See recent vid on typical Sanken brand fakes from Ebay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvyNIEGI-s

Even possible to buy fake electros too.
22uF,  500V axials turned out to be old 400V radial caps removed and re packaged from used CFLs.

..... Phil

Re: Jaycar.

**YIKES!

Jaycar buyers will likely seek them out.

Re: Jaycar.

That does not mean they are immune to purchasing and selling recovered
and remarked or fake parts.

They are clearly faked or remarked used transistors, noticed that as
soon as soon as I saw them - no need for testing.

You can buy fake anything. A lot of the chips on Ebay and Aliexpress
aren't fakes perse but have been recovered, sanded and remarked.

I can understand why they might remark a chip where a certain revision
or date of manufacture is more desirable but sometimes it's just generic
stuff so it's hard to know why they bother.

Re: Jaycar.
Clocky the Cockhead IDIOT wrote:

=================================

**  It does actually  -  you lying,  POS   IDIOT.

**   No such thing is clear.

noticed that as

**  Testing is no proof of being genuine.

**  I sure YOU can,  but not me.

**  Prove it.
    FOAD idiot.

Re: Jaycar.

I don't but I didn't bill them for the replacement surveillance
system or the plug pack and they still have my monitor.

They dont have ministers, they have officers.

Re: Jaycar.

Yes, you are quite correct!
--
Daniel

Re: Jaycar.

Those operations didn't do it to Dick Smith.