Figure 8 wired rated to 40A?

I've been looking around for some figure 8 wire good for at least 40A - anyone know who sells this? Preferably with an online presence for ordering purposes. DSE, Altronics & Jaycar seem not to...

The only place I have found is this:

Tnx.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Hi,

I am assuming this is for a low voltage application right? I have never found a supplier here in Oz that has figure 8 cable in sizes greater than what is shown on that website. I have resorted to importing it for our manufacturing purposes. We currently have some in

12, 10, 8 and 6 AWG. Let me know if you are interested and how much you require.

Replace "agw" with "andy" to reply via email.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply, most appreciated.

Basically it is for 13.8VDC, to run transceivers drawing up to approx.

40A max. I have also just installed some large spotties on my Cruiser, and wouldn't mind beefing up the existing wiring so I can up the wattage of the globes.

Over the years I always seem to be installing radios into vehicles, and often find the figure 8 cable I can buy is a little more on the thin side than I'd like. I like to over-engineer a little as well :)

I'll get in touch with you and see what you have - I figure I might as well buy a decent length if possible, for the reasons explained above.

Thanks

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

"Jeßus"

** Yeah - hi-fi shops do.

Its called Monster Cable......

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Talk to your local sparky. I've used Olex 6mm twin and earth for such purposes. It's rated at 44 Amps (unenclosed). My old VL Dunny-Dore showed a Voltage drop of more than 1.5 Volts on high beam, before re-wiring. After re-wiring, the drop was less than 50mV on the battery side and around 150mV on the other side. If you're in Sydney, I can supply you some, but talk to a few sparkys near where you live. The guys who do bigger jobs will keep a roll in their truck.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Nothing wrong with "soundlink " from WES 13, 11, 9 awg

Reply to
bassett

"bassett"

** Well, as a matter of fact I *did * consult the most famous WES cattledog ...

Woof, woof ........

However, after a bit of furious ciphering ( Jed Clampett style) I arrived at the conclusion that even 9 AWG ( = 6 sq.mm) was not up to carrying 40 amps continuously.

Circa 15 watts per metre is a lot of power for a twin, low temp grade PVC cable to dissipate.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wayne,

Your x-privat email address bounced my email to you because of "Unauthorized Country"?? Can you send me another email with a good email address?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

ure-100m-p-118.html

6mm sq twin solid core mains cable (usually used to wire to electric stoves) is available at haymans, turks and bunnings. This should be close to what you need.

if this isn't enough - you have a long run to do etc - you can go 10 or 16 sq,

Failing that you could do parallel runs of smaller (say 10a) cables but it would be messy -

though it would reduce any possible 'skin effect' ;)

Reply to
kreed

LOL, I thought X-Privat was Italian based? Wonder what Dmitry has done with it now?

Yep, I'll do that shortly, thanks.

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?SmXDn3Vz?=

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was snipped-for-privacy@woodtech.net.au'. Subject 'Cable', Account: 'mail.vfemail.net', Server: 'mail.vfemail.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser)', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

It's one of THOSE days, it it? I'll try yet another server...

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?SmXDn3Vz?=

There's heaps of it around 6sqmm2 , 16 , 32 ,50 etc etc

Widely used for 50VDC power in Telco industry.

Try "Triangle cables"

Reply to
AB

6mm sq twin solid core mains cable (usually used to wire to electric stoves) is available at haymans, turks and bunnings. This should be close to what you need.

if this isn't enough - you have a long run to do etc - you can go 10 or 16 sq,

Failing that you could do parallel runs of smaller (say 10a) cables but it would be messy -

though it would reduce any possible 'skin effect' ;)

*******************8 Good practice says -- Do not use solid conductors in mobile installations.

Solid conductors fracture from fatigue.

--
John G.
Wots your REAL problem?

Ok.....sent again yesterday - hasn't bounced as yet.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Nothing here? I re-sent from another email address some days ago as well. Ah well, not to worry :)

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

I'll look into that, thanks. As long as it is flexible it should be fine.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

this:

Solid core wouldn't be practical in a vehicle (needs to be flexible), and perhaps a bit of a worry in a 4WD that cops a pounding. But in a fixed situation, it'd be fine of course.

Yeah, which is why I'd rather have one run of bigger stuff :)

Indeed.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Shall have a look, thanks

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

**Make sure you ask for multi-strand cable and you'll be sweet.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

,
"

I sent it to the ....orcon.net.nz email address you supplied. Is this correct?

Reply to
Andy