De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........

Not really the best advice:

Den

It said alcohol

Reply to
F Murtz

......and then shows a closeup of the turps bottle label. Should do a nice job melting the placcy bits for someone who doesn't know any better. Then again I recently found out alcohol does not always work either. :(

Reply to
Den

Hey, I've accidentally dropped my mobile phone into the drink. Pulled it out immediately and removed the battery, then followed by the SIM card followed by a darn good shaking to dislodge as much of the water as possible. Dried it off as best as I could with paper towel, then when I got home I placed it near the air-conditioner.

No doubt using isopropyl alcohol would have absorbed the water and sped up the evaporation process. Three years down the track and the phone is still working perfectly. Certainly I feel that if I hadn't removed the battery immediately, the phone probably would have failed due to electrolysis eating away the components and the circuit board.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge" > Then again I recently found out alcohol does not always work either. :(

IPA has saved me a few times too. The last one went into a tub of hot dirty engine oil - no amount of cleaning fixed that one. Like you say getting the battery out quick seems to help.

Reply to
Den

I once threw my clothes in the washing machine without noticing the phone was in the pocket of a jersey. It did a full wash cycle, including spin dry. After I discovered it, I removed the battery, rinsed it in fresh water and let it dry for 24 hours. It's worked for the last 5 years or so and is still working.

Reply to
Davo