Perf board types

Hiya, I've been looking at different types of perf boards, for use with small/medium sized projects, but it seems most of them pretty much require a lot of wiring, due to their nature of course. Having no wirewrapping tool/wire/components necessary to do that, I figure that's out, leaving me with soldering every wire in place. My experience so far just involves breadboards, and having done 60+ wires for some projects, the idea of soldering that many and more doesn't sound like fun!

But I once heard about a type of perf boarf where all the holes are already connected, and you simply cut the tracks to do your circuit paths. I can't find out what this type of board is called, though, or how much it sells for. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm also curious of peoples experience with these types of boards, as well. If they're as easy to use as they seem, etc.

And just so I'm straight on what to look for in terms of the other types of boards, what would their specific names be, such as ones with have a particular number of holes connected together, specialized for dealing with ICs and such? I've seen others that have tracks connected all the way horizontal and vertical, too, which might possibly be handy, but again, not sure what exact term to search for.

I'm always open to any other suggestions other than perf boards, if there's anything better to work with for the hobbyist. Thanks!

Reply to
FyberOptic

Veroboard

Homer J Simpson

there ar a number of different types of pre-wired matrix board, stripboard being the most common all the holes are connected in only one direction.

but if you want every hole connected to every other hole, get yourself some copper clad board and a drill :) (you could clamp a matrix board to it for a template....)

stripboard is fairly easiy to use, with the cheaper brands the tracks tend to peel off if you rework them too much or stress them. some of them will absorb moisture and you mat get a track-to-track resistance of less than 10Megs.

if you try to pack the components too closely it can get fiddly and increase the time it take to make.

store unused boards in airtight bags.

if you want a brandname "Veroboard" for a generic term "stripboard" or prototyping board.

"dead bug" cheap, but a bugger to do repairs on.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

It's know as stripboard or veroboard. It's like perf board, but with rows of copper the full width of the board. Only rows though - not

*every* pad is connected to every other pad. It's easy to use and quick for small projects, though of course there's still some wiring to do. You'll ideally want a 'spot face cutter' designed for stripboard to cut the tracks. It's pretty much a drill bit in a handle, which neatly cuts a section of track out where you need a break.

There is some software out there which helps you lay out your circuit on the stripboard, but I've never tried it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton