Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

I realise the odds aren't great but worth a try.

As I've mentioned in other threads I've been 'refurbishing' a 'Playmaster Pro Series Three' kitset power amplifier. I have a photocpy of the instructions that came with the (DSE) kitset (basically a copy of the article in Feb 1994 EA). Also I found on the net where someone had uploaded scans of the original article and grabbed that. However there are a few... inconsistancies between the text and the diagrams / photographs. I know from reading a few EA magazines and a few Silicon Chip magazines that there are often postscripts to construction projects in magazines in the following months, either in the Notes and Errata sections or as sidebars or even in the 'Postbag' section/s.

Just a thought what with this group being aus.electronics and usenet being mostly the domain of older people. I've heard mixed reviews of this amplifier with some saying they sound great and others saying they sound average. I even read a comment by one guy who'd heard several of them and said one sounded amazing, some were average and one was nasty and that it probably comes down to construction techniques. (The one I'm fixing up was certainly under the 'bad construction technique' category.)

So with those varying comments I'm wondering if there might also have been post-kit improvements discussed in the next two or three months that could also account for the wide variations in how people think that they completed amplifiers sound.

Just a thought and maybe worth a shot asking while I still have it mostly in bits.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Here's a post on a forum I found a few months back when I first got the amp and wondered why it sounded crappy;

Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Likely much better than using a 14 year old mid-range Sony home theatre amp or an older K135 / J50 based MOSFET amp (with unshielded EI trannys) which are my other options. At least it's got over-sized toroidal trannies.

As AvE would say you've got to piss with the c*ck you've got. At least I'll get it sounding better than the guy who built the kit originally did.

Seems nobody has the relevant issues of EA on hand (or can't be arsed checking for me). :(

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Fair enough. If they're not indexed it'd be quite a task.

I let my Silicon Chip subscription lapse a while back as money got tighter. Last time I checked the web site's not very forthcoming if you're not a subscriber.

Yeah just checked again and they show a list of EA projects and I could order a scanned copy of any article for $10 each but I have part 1 and 2 for the Playmaster Pro 3 (Feb / Mar '94) and the DSE-supplied instructions. What I'm interested in trying to find is if there are any later mentions in Notes and Errata or Mailbag that could be helpful. Even if I could afford those sections for, say the next four months they aren't on the list of available articles.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

As I recall they also used to have an index of errata as well

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Hmmm, ok, couldn't find that for the issues in the 90s. I might have another look later after I've done a few chores.

Thanks,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

If you lived in Sydney ,the State library of nsw keeps copies,just get a library card and they will let you take copies,small charg.

Reply to
F Murtz

If you lived in Sydney ,the State library of nsw keeps copies,just get a library card and they will let you take copies,small charg.

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks but I'm in NZ and a long way away from a major library.