Elektor Electronics new website

I just noticed that Elektor Electronics magazine have silently uploaded a new website. I've not seeen all of it yet but it looks as if they've finally managed to put their (occasionally brilliant) articles online just as EPE have been doing over the past years. Not sure how far back in time, though. Articles are available individally, however, not the entire isuue as opposed to EPE. There's also a forum and a bring & buy section. Still very few postings over there, I guess that'll change when they properly announce the new site in the next issue (I have the Feb 2005 edition). There's also what looks like a rudimentary online shop.

url:

(automatically links to a numbered url)

ta Richard

Reply to
HomeLab

individally,

guess

Excellent. Lots of good reading here.

Reply to
MikeMandaville

Silicon Chip wants GBP 3.71 (about USD 7.00) to access one issue online. I got a whole year of Circuit Cellar (PDFs delivered by e-mail) for not much more than that.

Elektor wants (free) registration and agreement to get their newsletter just to read news. Maybe someone will add their log-in to bugmenot.com?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

At a steep price. First article I viewed, arbitrary choice, 'LED bedside lamp', gave me a list of components and a link to the (presumably full) PDF, for 1.00UKP (1.85USD)

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

as

Not

forum

next

numbered

Why don't you add it? Something like username Bugmenot with PW of bugmenot.

Me? I had a yr's subscription to Elektor USA and I didn't like the mag. I'm glad it went t*ts up.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Log in with user bugmenot42, password bugmenot42. It works.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

I think it is one of the best magazines,

as

Not

forum

next

numbered

Why don't you add it? Something like username Bugmenot with PW of bugmenot.

Me? I had a yr's subscription to Elektor USA and I didn't like the mag. I'm glad it went t*ts up.

Reply to
Eric

That happened 12 (!) years ago, and in the US only. UK and other European readers seem to think differently as the mag is still around.

Rich (UK)

Reply to
HomeLab

I am from the country Elektor/Elektuur originates from (Netherlands). I must agree with both viewpoints. 40y ago Elektor was a very good magazine, but it has lost most ofd its quality. But it is still one of the few relatively good magazines left. Which says a lot about what is available these days :(

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

mag.

Yeah, that was my big complaint: it was too European.

Good riddance.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

In what way?

There is the mains voltage difference, but most projects are low voltage.

Teletext and SCART are less common in the USA, but such projects are not frequent.

Reply to
Kryten

I suspect he means an insufficency of foaming nutcases.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I hadn't noticed any in Circuit Cellar etc.

On the other hand, I am fed up of Ivor Catt and the like who pad out Electronics World with cods wallop.

Reply to
Kryten

No Ivor Catt, pages of old f%$rt letters or Dickensian-style writers in Elektor. Have a look at the QuizzAway pages in EE for some up to date thought stimulation.

Rich

Reply to
HomeLab

I spoke to the editor of EW today, about the possibility of writing some articles.

I ventured my opinions about how the content had declined from stuff people could actually apply (radio and audio amplifier circuits) to tenuous abstract blather. The death of J.L. Hood probably killed off a lot of the audio engineer readership. Last time I looked there was some lengthy article about magnetoaetheric tunnels and I just thought "what on earth is this mumbo jumbo about, and who the heck would pay to read this?"

If asked "Are you going to take out a subscription?" I'd say "No, I'll read it at the library for what little relevant stuff it has"

The editor (Svetlana Josifovska) asked me if I'd read it recently, because it has changed since she took over around Christmas. She is from an engineering background, so she prefers to read about practical engineering too.

I get the feeling she doesn't think much of the scribblings of Catt et al, so hopefully we'll be seeing a lot less of them. I'd prefer none at all! ;-)

I think we'll have to check it out on the news stands, to see if it has become a bit meatier...

Reply to
Kryten

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kryten wrote (in ) about 'Elektor Electronics new website', on Thu, 17 Feb 2005:

[of British 'Electronics World']

Engineering background and a trained journalist, I believe. She is using articles from other journalists rather than relying entirely on practising or retired EEs. Nut content has been reduced to zero or nearly so.

This will be OK IF the journalists don't take over entirely. So it's important to keep up a supply of copy from EEs.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Thank f. for that.

I rang around quite a few magazines and the going rate seems between 80 to

100 UKP per page.

About a day's wages on average UK national salary of 24K?

I'd maybe write an article for the kudos or pocket money but I do know few people can write a good technical article if a few hours. This concurs with a post I read saying places pay very little for good technical copy. I guess the writers are thus supporting the magazines in effect.

Reply to
Kryten

I think its devolved to the point where -- even with advertising -- technical magazines have small enough circulation that they can't afford to pay writers for the actual time required to create a good article. Although perhaps 'devolved' is the wrong term here -- what sort of rates did the likes of Radio Electronics pay say, 20 years ago?

Although it's not quite the same thing, keep in mind that for 'professional' journals (e.g., IEEE), it's still considered an honor to have a paper accepted and the _author_ pays if they get too wordy (or want color photos)!

Linux is a great example of people doing things for free that one would typically expect to be well paid for. Hopefully the same will continue to apply to authors for electronics magazines.

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

well in the same forum the mag editor advises that they are working to solve the problem so some patience may be in order. I've seen this sort of swing before, usually the staff that do the actual work are not to blame. I'll check again in a week's time.

Richard

Reply to
HomeLab

Elektor has stopped providing their PCB layouts as free .pdf downloads. That means we have to go back to photocopying the layouts from the magazine, like we did years ago, or buy the full .pdf article (which Elektor says is the answer - even though we have already paid for the magazine)

As a long term subscriber (1983) I am disgusted, and have told Elektor so.

I will be canceling my subscription and stop buying the magazine if they don't change their minds on this. That's how strongly I feel. I will *not* take this huge backwards step in amateur PCB making.

Please, anyone else who feels the same about this, email them and visit the 'non technical' forum on their new website.

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Fox