Silicon Chip removing old RTV&H and EA magazines and books from American-Radio-History site

Was saddened and angry to read that Nicholas Vinen, the editor of Silicon Chip Magazine has ordered the removal of the "Radio Television & Hobbies" and "Electronics Australia" archive from

see the notice at:

and

This extensive collection had been the work of countless hobbyists and researchers who had spend thousands of hours (and thousands of dollars) collecting and scanning these publications.

Undoubtedly Silicon Chip does own the copyright, but unless they make these historical publication readily available, the material is effectively abandoned and will eventually be lost forever.

The threat of prosecution has also resulted in the loss of the priceless ability to search the text of these magazines, even magazines which are long out of copyright.

I had only recently discovered the priceless collection of magazines such as "Wireless Weekly", "Radio & Hobbies", "Australasian Radio World", "Australian Radio TV News", and so many others which I had thought were lost forever.

It's a very sad day when so called "copyright" laws result in our loosing our heritage forever.

Reply to
graeme.zimmer

Well that sucks! I have a couple of EA kitset audio components (without documentation) and didn't even know these old magazines were available until now they're not. :-/

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

--------------------------

** But not for ALL of it.

There is a lot on contributed material involved for which they only have "copyright license" from the contributors - people like myself.

I took this up with Leo some time back, he was obliged to admit he was over-claiming.

It is also arguable that because the alleged infringers were giving away the material for its historical interest - that it was "fair use".

** Well, they appear to be offering similar stuff on CD rom or download for $50.
** I bet SC is making just a few hundred dollars a year out of the material - so would not instigate expensive litigation against anyone.

BTW:

You cannot "prosecute" over copyright breach, only the police can do that and only in extreme cases like mass producing and marketing DVDs of movies.

FYI:

I got a threatening email and follow up letter from SC's lawyer ( with a very American sounding name and style ) some years ago, over a post I made here that Leo and Greg felt was defamatory. The letter demanded I post an apology.

I also got a rather threatening phone call from Greg Swain one morning.

What I posted was completely fair comment, the guys are plain loopey.

BTW:

I see Nicholas wrote the notification himself - so avoiding any lawyer's fee.

I sent Leo's Yank lawyer mate ( golfing buddy? ) a well considered reply, in the style of Jed Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies. Never got or expected a response, but lawyers always charge for reading such stuff.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I did post about it here some time ago, along with a suggestion to grab them before Silicon Chip finds out. Lucky that they lasted this long really.

An Australian site could legally host copies of RTV&H issues published before 1954, because those will be out of copyright here. Unfortunately I somehow suspect that americanradiohistory.com is American, so the copyright on all issues will still be in effect there.

I know that these copyright laws clearly don't have much practical relevance on the internet, but that's how they are.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Unfortunately they could always claims things like their version of the schematic diagrams, logos, photos (though they've been caught stealing pics off the internet themselves in the past). So you'd be left with just the original text, and have to construct new PDFs around that in order to legally publish it online yourself.

I'm not aware of any provisions for "fair use" in the Australian copyright law, I think that's an American thing. It might be a valid argument if Silicon Chip were to actually take it to court in the US.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

So where is the BitTorrent? or posting on NNTP? I can only think that this is going to back-fire on SC.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

-------------------------

** True, but not having full copyright is very restricting.

Means only publishing a scan or photocopy constitutes a breach - and then only for profit.

** Better take another look - it is RIGHT there.

So is failing to correctly attribute the author and false attribution.

Both of which have happed to me, over the Miniosc project and others.

** Fair usage is universal.

Covers use for study, criticism, review and other personal uses like doing repair work. See division 3.

SC have no intention of going near a court here or elsewhere - notifications like this are a game of bluff, like the silly legal letter I got.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those are just a distribution method. For any permenent availability, they still require a source to hold at least one copy. Something like a electronie Sci-Hub. There are some other australian stuff listed under archive.org. I'm not aware of any other likely places.

You'd think they would be doig what ever they can to promote electronics hacking for the future rather than closing down information. Oh well, take time for peope to wake up to the need for change.

Reply to
news18

-------------------

** I just tried "Tooheys New" in the search box for GGs and wadda you know turned up, from August 30, 2002:

----------------

Hi to all. have you seen the SC September issue "Circuit Notebook " ?

The featured item titled ... "Ultra Low drop linear voltage regulator" is a *bit* of a worry!!

Firstly there is a misprint, C3 and C4 should be 470 uF not 270 uF as shown. But this is nothing compared to the silliness of the whole item. The low dropout regulator cct is fed from a very high ripple unregulated PSU with a large DC overvoltage - so what is the f......g point???

At 3 amps (which is specified) the ripple voltage with a mere 2 x 470 uF is going to be about 20 volts peak to peak - and that is in a supply of only 21 volts DC maximum!!!

The low drop out 12 volt Mosfet regulator is said to need only 60mV headroom at 1 amp - nice if you are operating from a car battery maybe but not with the idiot PSU cct shown.

The rocket scientists at SC must have been completley desperate to fill up space to crib this POS / PSU from the depths of the net as they obviously have done - but to then give it feature billing! What mind expanding substances are they on? Tooheys New?

Regards, Phil

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison