Commercial "LCD" glass

I saw an interesting segment on TV this morning, with a commercial sliding door that could be electronically switched from transparent to opaque. I presume it's something similar to LCD.

I wonder if this could be used as fancy electronic window coverings in a residence? :)

Reply to
rowan194

Check into a modern hotel in Tokyo for a demo :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P
Reply to

If you are in Melbourne and want to see it in action ask for a tour of Telstra's Global Operations Centre in Clayton. The viewing room has this facility for the glassed area facing the main operations floor space. Impressive, and it operates very quickly from clear to fully opaque and vice versa. Nothing new. The switchable windows have been in use at the GOC since it was put into operation in the 1990s.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Is it available in small quantities? It seems ideal for protecting my car number plate from the weather :)

Reply to
David Segall

LOL

Reply to
Two Bob

Naturally someone's already thought of it and is flogging them. Have a look at

(if you can see this posting amongst hundreds of garbage ones).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I think it is interesting that the first mooted use for the technology of transparent/opaque glass using liquid crystal was as a glass wall, transparent during the day, opaque at night. Nothing came of it. I read of it in Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics, in the late nineteen forties. Loved those magazines!

Reply to
L.A.T.

Evidently it also works as a projection screen.

Reply to
Rod

Have a look at this.

These have been around for a couple of years, same sort of deal.

Reply to
FOG

I think I read somewhere that they used this technology for some swish toilets somewhere where you could see the architects 'clean' creation when the cubicle was unoccupied and it went opaque when occupied.

Apparently it used a motion sensor to detect the occupied state but had a minor short-coming in the design when people fell asleep inside...

Reply to
dale-google

The motion sensor sounds like a good idea. ;-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

I thought that was the idea, to stop people staying inside too long? It sounds a warning buzzer before going clear.

Doesn't the Blue Mt's skyway car also use an LCD glass floor? Apparently so you can look down when over the gorge, but men underneath can't look up women's dresses when the car approaches the platform :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Does anyone know of any commercially available residential solutions? We're building a new house soon.

Reply to
rowan194

There's a restaurant in Milton, Brisbane, that has this glass in its toilets. VERY disturbing, so my wife says.

Dave

Reply to
DaveY