Controller for Custom LCD Glass

Hi all,

We use a multiplexed (1:3) custom LCD Glass in a product that has 135 Segments, e.g. needs 45 Segment drivers when using 3 common lines.

Up to now, we used a Hitachi controller that is now discontinued. All other drivers I could find only support 40 segment driver outputs max.

If possible, we would like to avoid to make a new glass that is multiplexed 1:4. A serial interface to the host controller is acceptable, e.g. SPI or I2C bus.

Does anybody know an integrated circuit that features 45 segment outputs and supports triplexed LCD glasses?

Thanks for all hints, Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

Have you looked at the NXP (Philips ) PCF85xx series devices ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hello Jim,

The only chip that seems to have enough segment drivers is the PCF 8533, and this is available as uncased die only, if I looked correctly - very hard to use for us.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

Make your own with a PIC18F8390. It supports up to 4 commons by 48 segments.

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

There are bond-out houses around -- perhaps you could pay to have the die bonded into a package for you, if you didn't want them to just bond them out onto your PC board.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

you can't get the hitachi controller from obsolete distributors? How many do you need?

Reply to
steve

steve schrieb:

Hi Steve,

We need a few thousand pieces, maybe ~5k. They are hard to find, but we have contacted a few companies that sell obsolete components, up to now, without result.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

Thank you for this info. We will look into this, I didn't know this part. We use more AVRs or 8051 clones than PICs usually.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

Have you actually costed doing a new LCD glass? You may find that being able to use a cheaper LCDC, and maybe choose a new LCD supplier could more than cover the tooling cost.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

try typing your part number into this web page

and see if it turns up. 5K is pretty small quantity, if it was a widely used I would think plenty should be available, but maybe not.

As an alternative, we have use small micros to drive mux LCD glass directly, with just plain I/O pins and a handful of resistors, see (go to bottom of document)

the waveforms you have to generate are screwy, but it's just software, of course, the easiest is to find the original LCD driver chip you were using

Reply to
steve

In the meantime, we found another chip of the µPD family made by NEC that could be used - but we are currently trying to get info about long term availability from them, the chip also seems to be a pretty old design. It's a larger version of the well known µPD7225.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

try entering your part number into

, they may have it

alternatively we have driven mux LCD's directly from micro general I/O pins and a handful of resistors (to get the bias)

Reply to
steve

Actually, we are thinking about the same. But we are going to use 2 pins (four states) per common. So, our 12x4 needs only 20 I/O pins.

I disagree. Using more commons could even be cheaper. You don't have to stop at 4 commons either.

Reply to
linnix

The quality of display contrast decreases and the visibility of "shadow" segments if you look from a steep angle increases on higher multiplex rates.

In extreme situations, a "9" digit, seen from a bottom angle of 30° to the glass, looks like a "8", for example.

Even the difference between 1:3 and 1:4 is clearly visible if you have both versions to compare them side by side.

Reply to
Heiner Mülller

How many old LCD panels are you trying to save? Unless you have many thousands, it might be better to look into new panels.

40x4 is preferred.
Reply to
linnix

They also become more temperature-sensitive as the mux ratio increases.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

we

ow,

2 pins, hmm, I suppose you could use DAC's too, if your micro has them, wouldn't need any resistors too

I think the NRE would overide the cost savings of new glass

Reply to
steve

How

t we

now,

Yes, it's basically a 2 bits DAC. We will have 4 of these plus another 8 bits DAC. We are looking into an op amp ASIC design.

Reply to
linnix