cheap cat5e

Got some cheap supposed cat5e (it may be to spec) the conductors appear to be copper plated aluminium, it seems to be fairly thick plating ,the pairs are well twisted. would there be any inherent problems with this cable? I can not see major problems unless the connections cut through the copper. The current carrying capabilities may differ as the conductors are supposed to be the same diameter as the copper. I assume the resistance may differ but would that matter significantly?

Reply to
F Murtz

Aluminium will prove brittle compared to copper.

Reply to
who where

I thought that aluminium was a better conductor than copper actually ?

Might not like being bent, stretched though as much as copper and dont know how it would handle environmentally over time

Reply to
kreed

Copper is the better conductor but aluminium is LIGHTER and CHEAPER hence the use in overhead town electricity wiring.

The aluminium in outside electricity wiring may not be pure aluminium but may be alloyed to enhance particular features. The wiring around my town is doing alright long term however I see there is still a lot of copper left in the system. There have been major upgrades around here recently and all new is aluminium. I guess they make a packet out of scrap copper when they take the old lines down.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

Nope. Perhaps you are thinking of silver - but of course that is not going to be in anything cheap.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

osed

That is probably what I was thinking, I have seen a lot of it go up, they were even putting it up for power mains (240/415) 25 years ago.

Reply to
kreed

Ah, No I was thinking it might be better as it was being used more often in power lines where I thought lower resistance would be critical due to the currents involved. Obviously not.

On the other hand, if copper is the better conductor - and this CAT5 is being used for power over ethernet, or carrying any significant current in a non-network type application, aluminium conductors could be a problem with drops along the line - particularly on long runs.

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

I thought that aluminium was a better conductor than copper actually ?

** Copper is the better conductor for a given cross section.

However, for the same weight of cable, aluminium has half the resistance.

Both conductors lack strength, so cables strung between poles or towers have steel cores with copper or aluminium strands wrapped around.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison