battery question

the power went off recently, and the UPS protecting the PC, etc., failed to kick in, so I'm guessing that the battery needs replacement, since it's at least 5 years old- maybe even up to ten years old. (can't remember when I got it). the battery that's in there now is a YUASA NP7-12, and it has written on it that's it 'valve regulated'. I could replace it with the same battery, but generic ones are cheaper, but they don't say 'valve regulated', so I'm wondering if that's a necessary thing or not? what would ppl recommend? ta!

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

same rating and voltage will do

--

Reply to
atec77

so are all these kinds of batteries 'valve regulated', or is that some kind of extra safety feature with only some of them? I looked on the net and it seems that 'valve regulated' might just mean the type of design of this kind of battery.

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

It's a venting system.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

It is just a bog standard SLA (sealed lead acid) battery; a sort of gel cell.

Replace with cheapest one of the same size that you can get hold of, IME, they are cactus after two years just sitting there as the continual standby charging just dries them out and you can not get water back into them.

They are also pretty much cactus after their first use as the discharge rate is usually way beyond C/20, which is what it should be for maximum life cycles.

Reply to
news13

Kind of like these news groups ;-)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

SHUTDOWN and not hibernation. Shutdown is no power draw. Hibernation is still a power draw and sometimes not that much of a savings. A UPS is usually(commercially) a device to allow graceful & safe shutdown or a transistion device to bridge until the backup generator kicks in.

If you want it to signal the PC to go into hibernation, then look for one that will give a hibernation signal, followed by a shutdown if the UPS battery drops significantly.

The small UPS are not designed as medium or long term power devices, despite the expectations of a lot of people who effectively misuse/ mispurpose them.

Reply to
news13

hint, how does the system recover from hibernation?

Reply to
news13

By loading the saved snapshot on booting.

Hibernate is just a shutdown but with a saved snapshot that is loaded on boot.

There is no more power consumption when hibernating as there is when shut down. In fact you can hibernate and unplug the PC, and the next time you plug it in and boot it will boot to where you left of.

You are thinking of sleep mode which keeps systems like the RAM refreshed.

Reply to
Clocky

Err, I'll make it clearer for the idiots, if the system is shut down, really shut down and not the modern dribbling power hibernation, then how does it detect the "signal" to wake up?

Otherwise, it isn't shut down, but in a hibernation mode and consuming power while it test if a signal has been received.

Reply to
news13

The same way you can choose to power up from those same signals (mouse, keyboard, network, button). The point is, hibernation does not consume any more power than shutting down which puts the PC in the same standby mode.

Hibernation is the same as shutting down in terms of power consumption - any of those signals can turn on the PC even if it hasn't been hibernated.

The only way to truly switch off the PC is to flick a mains switch either at the power supply or power point so the PC isn't consuming any standby power (which to monitor the signal is measured in mere milliwats anyway)

Hope that makes it clear for the real idiot here who doesn't get it.

Reply to
Clocky

Yep, better explanation than mine.

He most certainly is.

Reply to
Damian

The SLA batteries I've examined are just a push on rubber cap over a pipe. They will release pressure from charging too fast.

The wet cells seem to just have a convoluted path in the screw in cap or will pop their push in cap a smidge and vent through slots in the plugs.

Reply to
news13

DOS version 2 was heavily influenced by unix.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

It borrowed some concepts from UNIX but with a very important and defining differences like installable device drivers.

Reply to
Clocky

Now that was a great step forward over unix, you had to point to the device driver and load it on boot up in DOS, whereas unix just loaded the driver(another file) as and when needed.

Reply to
news13

Well no, with UNIX you had to recompile to include the driver.

Reply to
Clocky

that might explain where you were going wrong. Unix or Linux?

You could recompile to include it in the kernel in Linux, but it was just for faster access.

Reply to
news13

No Frank, I first used Unix in 1974. I know how it worked initially and why stuff was eventually built into the kernel. Modularity was key point in Unix. Linux was just a later sideline.

You only needed to recompile stuff if you changed stuff, like hardware, host or otherwise. Interestingly, you could do that in unix. I don't remember MS ever sharing source code so you could mix and match.

Of course this was all pre 8088/86 hardware and when they did arive you used Minux if you wanted a PC unix like os till the 80386 came around and Linus did his little project.

Reply to
news13

So why post "Unix or Linux" when it's abundantly clear that it wasn't Linux in that timeframe you goose.

And with MS-DOS you simply loaded a driver - no reason to recompile stuff and that was an important difference as I said before.

You seem to think you know it all, and when it's clear that you don't you shift the goalposts or engage in selective snipping in a desperate attempt to cover up the evidence of your ignorance.

Reply to
Clocky