Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

Nov 16, 2009 2:04 PM Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

1,200 percent more powerful than predecessor.

The most powerful supercomputer in Australia was unveiled today at the National Computing Infrastructure (NCI) facility at the Australian National University in Canberra.

The supercomputer was supplied by Sun Microsystems and contains 3,000 quad-core Intel Nehalem processors with 36TB of memory and a petabyte filesystem.

Full story:

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yeah that's great, but will it handle running Xtree Gold?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

I think you will need to move up to ZtreeWin Mark :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:15:50 +1100, Don McKenzie put finger to keyboard and composed:

"It has been estimated that 487 billion gigabytes of new digital data was created in 2008. The Large Hardon Collider (LHC) will generate up ^^^^^^ to 1,600MB of data per second when it is in full operation ... data generated from Square Kilometer Array radio telescope, in one week of operation, will equal all the words ever spoken by humanity."

Yes, but will it keep up with the written word, aka spam?

BTW, I think this is what the article's author meant to write:

"The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator ..."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sure but a "large HardOn Collider" did make me laugh :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

That web site sucks. I can't access article using FF 3.5.5 , I keep getting stuck on the promo page and can't get any other page , I get stuck in an endless loop and get re-directed back to the same promo page when I click on the link to ".... Continue to ITnews"

I did access the article using IE 6.0

--
Sandgroper
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sandgroper

I found it with FF 3.5.5, and have no problems. not one of your settings or plug-ins?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Works fine here, your settings suck.

Reply to
Clocky

More than likely a lack of them so you can not view their frigging animated adverts.

Reply to
terryc

Are you running Adblock with FF ?

--
Sandgroper
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sandgroper

No, I am not. I run no-script, but that wasn't a problem.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I'm using Adblock Plus with FF 3.5.5 and it works fine.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:56:29 +0800, "Sandgroper" put finger to keyboard and composed:

You can use Google's text-only cached version of the site:

http://74.125.153.132/search?strip=1&q=cache:

Just prefix any target URL with ...

http://74.125.153.132/search?strip=1&q=cache:

I have added this facility to the r-click menu in my browser (Opera) and I use it whenever I suspect that the target URL will be ad-infested.

Alternatively, you could send such URLs to a non-JS, non-Java browser such as OffByOne.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Found the problem . I had cookies set to block most web sites , once I allowed cookies for

I was taken straight to the right web page.

--
Sandgroper