Cheers Don...

========================

-- Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:

Dontronics Site Map:
E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Don McKenzie

Not like win 7 works terribly but testing it on didn't work

must be time to try another abomination on us

--
Reply to
atec77

Huh?

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which probably influences my opinions.

thought it was just me for a moment :-)

Cheers Don...

==================

-- Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:

Dontronics Site Map:
E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Don McKenzie

A touch interface arse wow what will be the PC version???

Reply to
SG1

My guess is that this is the push to move everyone onto new hardware with touch screens. If you don't have a touch screen, you will mouse around in the old fashion way.

Just like you had to key TAB around if you didn't have a mouse years ago.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Nah I missed the word "well" call it a typo

--
Reply to
atec77

That's a wordo not a typo!

Reply to
Dennis

touch screens.

What's the big appeal of a touch screen?

Surely it would be just as quick to use a mouse and no grubby marks left on the screen.

Sounds like technology gone mad for no real reason.

How many current apps would even support this?

One thing I hated when I was an all day every day PC user in IT was some wally poking his finger on the screen and leaving greasy fingerprints.

Reply to
Dr Who

Dr Who wrote

It can be very convenient.

Try telling that to those who use iphones, GPSs, etc etc etc

Dont be too surprised when they just laugh in your face.

Then your ears need testing, BAD.

All of them if the OS does it well.

Your problem.

Reply to
Rod Speed

go.

nts.

Handheld devices work well with this, (there is no room for a decent keyboard or mouse anyway) Laptops would probably be ok, but I don't think it will work out very well on a desktop PC, for starters holding your arm out to tap on a screen to do things would get very tiring after a while, compared to using a mouse that sits right next to the keyboard. In many cases, the screens sit too far away, particularly if multiple screens are used.

A finger has not got very fine resolution, and depending on what you are doing, and where you have to put your finger on the screen, it can block a large part of your view.

Reply to
kreed

.

touch screens.

n way.

Yes, and I can well remember buying my first serial mouse back around

1991 or so, and finding that it didn't work in many applications :). Probably only in win 3.1 that I can remember, but could be wrong. Everything was keyboard driven.

That changed real quick though with a lot of the games soon supporting the mouse, and then WIN95 made it a must-have.

This may be the case here too, assuming it isn't another MS flop. The Touch Screen and PC might be problematic though

teen-years-on.html

Reply to
kreed

Intellectual disability induced illiteracy isn't a "typo".

Reply to
Clocky

kreed wrote

Yes, I love my touch screen GPS and am irritated when I have to use a non touch screen mobile phone again.

Yes, but there is room for some physical keys.

We know they are, and tablets in spades.

They do in some situations. Plenty of process control systems do it that way and the self checkouts at Woolys work fine that way too.

Not of the screen is in your lap etc.

Mine doesnt. I compute from a deep armchair with my feet up and have been doing that for more than 30 years now.

Yeah, mine do too. Mine are well back from my fingertips with my arms straight out, I sit further back from the screen than most people do.

Mine are all the same distance away except for the big TV.

Yes, but you dont use that very much. I cant see anyone much doing everything exclusively with a touch screen, I expect that most will still have a proper keyboard for the volume text entry like with these posts and other email etc, and there is no reason why you cant use a mouse when you need the higher resolution like when molesting photos etc.

Yes, but thats easily fixed with a well designed touch screen system.

I dont ever find that a problem when using the GPS and entering a town name or street name etc. Its extremely desirable to have the system offer what matches what text you have already entered and is intelligent about offering you recent selections with towns etc.

I havent ever needed to clean the GPS screen, likely because I tend to use the fingernail on the screen rather than the fleshy part of the finger and have noticed that it isnt a good idea to cut the pointing finger fingernail right back when trimming the fingernails because that makes it less convenient to select stuff on the GPS.

Reply to
Rod Speed

PC touch screens will be driven by the younger set, not the dinosaurs.

Bacteria survive and thrive on steering wheels in cars. Why? Because people eat over the top of them. And the same thing applies to PC keyboards.

Imagine the new generation using a PC touch screen to read the morning paper, which I'm sure many are doing right now with iPhones and other weapons of choice.

You want your morning toast with sticky topping, spread all over your touch screen? Job done!

I can imagine this, and it won't be healthy.

Will blast the mobile phone radio cancer theorists into oblivion, while we concentrate on yet another new tax. This time for touch screens because of massive new health bills.

Perhaps we could have a Federal Government scheme for seniors, and send a team of steam screen cleaners around on a regular basis, to help stem this new health hazard.

Seniors Scheme for Screen Steamers.

Sorry, must be a slow morning for me. I deserve a good stoning, or at least thrown to the ground. (Credit: Monty Python Group)

:-)

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yes, that's my point.

OBVIOUSLY this system suits handhelds and mobile hardware, but I don't see any benefit for desktop PCs.

Reply to
Dr Who

Fools ran the same line about mice.

Reply to