Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Checked out the XPSM1530 in Oz..goes for $1799. Go to Dell US and its $1,099US. Even accounting for currency variations we 're still getting screwed over by a multinational co. for the same product by hundreds of $$$$ WHY???

Reply to
Lu R

It's called "Economies of Scale" and is, well, to put it mildly,

*ancient* news.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

$1,099US. Even accounting for currency

same product by hundreds of $$$$ WHY???

Because they can.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They do it because they can get away with it. Same thing happens with most goods, not just computers. If you don't like it, buy from overseas.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Nothing compared to what Apple were (still may be) like.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I'm struggling to find the US model that you are comparing. The Oz M1530 @ $1799 includes T8300 (2.4 GHz, 3MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB) cpu bluetooth module WXGA+ (1440x900) lcd panel TV tuner

4GB memory 320GB hard drive 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Intel(R) 4965AGN Next G Wireless-N Mini-Card

The cheaper US models that I can find have slower cpu T5750 (2.0GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) lower resolution flat panels (1280x800) smaller hard drive 160GB less RAM 2GB inferior size 128MB video card Dell Wireless 802.11g card no Bluetooth module. no TV tuner

Reply to
Fred

It's widespread, Mate. I priced a Sony multiband top end radio receiver. In Aus the prices I got were $420 - $440. On US websites it sold for US$140 - $160, but no US site would ship it to Aus. I created a US address and paid $US140 incl. shipping to send it there. Then I paid another US$50 to freight it to me.

I've lost the link but there is at least one Aus company that arranges it all. Someone posted it to this NG.

Warranty is then another issue.

Reply to
The Old Bloke

You should not buy Sony! Not only do they prevent the U.S. sites selling to you they control the retail price in Australia by pretending the resellers are "factory agents" so they are not subject to the laws against retail price maintenance. They are not alone. Apple, Telstra and several of the German kitchen appliance manufacturers do the same thing. I complained to the ACC but they said it was legal.

Reply to
David Segall

So show me where I can buy the cheaper US models in Oz if I dont WANT all those extras??

Reply to
Lu R

is the girl from Bendigo. good reports.

BTW, if you want a good cheap system:

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

USB to 4 Relays. Many other modules available.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It is because of the difference in market volume - US has population of 315 million approx and Aust only has 21 million approx. Just look at car price difference, it is amazing.

Reply to
Phred A'Neadel

Market size, distribution, local markup conditions. Doesn't sound untypical or extreme to me.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

**Economy of scale? WTF? The only real difference is the mains plug on the power supply. They cost $1.50 (in small quantities). Dell charge what they do, because they can. There is no other reason.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yep, that's the site. Thank you.

Reply to
The Old Bloke

You'd better check the voltage as well! :-)

--
steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

**Obviously you've not seen the current crop of switch mode laptop power supplies. They are Voltage-independent. My 5 year old Toshiba works anywhere in the world, without adjustment. I have a mate with a 4 year old Dell. It also works anywhere. I expect current models will be similarly equipped.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Economy of scale" due to hugely larger numbers of sales allowing reduced margins for a lower SRP while remaining profitable, more economical warehousing, and support.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

**Warehouse and support for Dell products is not within Australia (at least, not to any substantial degree). Only minimal staff are in Australia. Every time I've dealt with them, I had to wait whilst it was shipped from Singapore. When I spoke with Dell (on and Australian 'phone number) I was not speaking to an Australian born person. I expect their support staff are elsewhere.

Dell sell stuff at a higher price in Australia, because they can. No other reason.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Laptops, are lower rated, use a slightly different design (from desktops) that allows for variable voltage input. That is, anything between 100-260 volts ac and everything inbetween, (or whatever the label says) will work.

Doing this with ~500w power supply in your typical desktop is not possible (not without a serious cat-fight anyway). This class of supply (if done automatically) has an auto-voltage switch, which is essentially the same as the manual switch, but done automatically and electronically within the supply. Note this is NOT the same technique as used in laptop supplies.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Warehousing? I thought Dell did a wait-after-you-order technique, and not quite off the shelf. Should reduce warehouse loading quite substantially.

Support? You mean it costs more to call India from Australia than it does the US?

But yeah, I suppose those two alone add up to a ~$700 per unit increase.