Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

the

Or just use a local IEC mains cord.

Or just the position of the voltage selector switch used in the *vast majority* of desk top computer power supplies. Hell, you can even buy a complete new PSU in Australia for about $30!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

**Indeed. The switch is a manually operated one. That does not justify the extra cost.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Now that

site is good but it wont help if I want to buy electronic items due to the voltage differences.

Reply to
Lu R

Yep, I'm still suprised to the difference in price between the single voltage versions, and the dual-selected ones. If they all were built the same (essentially very similar design/manufacture costs!) the option to add the switch would add a holy few cents for the damned switch to the cost.

Only thing I can think of, is due to short-sightedness of the project leaders/designers, they left out the 'rest of the world'. When it came to light they might have to sell offshore, they designed a dual voltage one, which of course cost about the same as their original single voltage unit.

No matter. The customer will pay for it anyway. Essentially again...

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Trevor, you know (or should know) better than that.

It's quite simple - in the USA they can sell 100 for 1 compared to Oz, so they have to make more individual profit per item to end up with the same overall profit.

Add in that they ship systems from Singapore to Oz as opposed to the 4 or 6 or 10 or more distribution centres they have in the USA, US sales are comparatively local.

Cheers, Gary B-)

                   whether you were up them with or not
                                      - Barry Humphries
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Inspiron or Vostro are available with similar configuration to the US XPS M1530 in OZ. FWIW I went through the exercise of configuring the XPS M1530 on the US Dell site to the same specs as the Australian model and it came to US$1829.

Reply to
Fred

The 550w supply that I just put in my desktop is supposed to work from

100-260v, there is no switch on it. The 400w supply that it replaced had a switch.

Keith

Reply to
Keithr

$$$

To the original question, these sort of rorts have gone on here for a long time.

We seem to frequently pay often 100% more for most things like this for no good reason. Australian sales tax used to be blamed, but the removal of 33% sales tax (on goods like this) in favour of 10% GST, did nothing to shrink these margins.

Add the "Exclusive rights/exclusive distribution rort" as well on many products, it helps keep up this cycle of abuse of the Australian public.

Why would you buy from them, you could build a Good quality PC yourself for about half that, or if you must have Dell, im sure you could maybe find something similar on US ebay. At worst, you just have to make sure its suitable for 240v operation. (Note, I have heard that dell use different pin configurations on their power supplies, so if you have to change the power supply to a generic one, check and modify the connectors first if needed)

kreed

Shit, you would have to be pretty keen to assemble a notebook like the XPSM1530 from generic parts. Who bothers with whitebox laptops?

BushTurkey