Fried Pi ?

I think I may have a semi fried Pi.

About a week and a half back, we had a heavy thunderstorm, and for about

30 seconds the power went off. Later that day I went away for a week. When I returned, I found that I hadn't had any emails from it (it usual sends me at least one a day). It is powered via an anti-surge protector which also supplied a TV booster, external disc and Ethernet switch, I think these are OK.

The Pi runs headless, and lives up in the loft (which is rather warm at the moment), on a stand that allows a good air flow around it. I unplugged the power supply, and gave it a minute or so before powering on again, but it wasn't happy. The Pi is connected to the network via Ethernet rather than by WiFi, but only the red light came on, on the Pi. No light for the network stuff, and no light on the switch's port either. The base of case was very hot (it stands on edge with the HDMI port downwards, hopefully giving better air circulation around the PCB).

I've unplugged it and brought it downstairs, and now have it hooked up to the TV. The good news is that it boots (*) and I can log into it. But again no network connection. Looking in /var/log, there are files from around the time of the power spike indicating a reboot, but nothing obviously wrong.

(*)The first attempt to boot failed with it hanging in the boot sequence. I plugged in another network lead, connected to a different switch, and cycled the power, this time it booted, but no network lights, and I can't ping my router.

So. do I have a PI that is useless as an Internet device, or is there something else I can check ?

TIA

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

If you can log into it using a USB keyboard that suggests the LAN9512 chip that controls the USB and LAN connections is working. The only thing I can think of is that the LAN socket itself has been damaged by a voltage surge (the socket has some electronics inside, mostly very small transformers).

You could try using a cheapish USB LAN adaptor instead of the built-in port, but stay clear of the really cheap ones one ebay (often less than

4 pounds), as they usually only have USB1.0 chips inside (although they claim USB2.0 support, which is true - USB2.0 will work with USB1.0 devices) and you get a maximum of 10 to 10 Mbps on a 100Mbps connection.

Otherwise you could try replacing the socket, but I don't know the correct part number or where to get one (other than a dead Pi).

Reply to
Dom

Before writing it off, I'd reboot it, then read through the output of /var/log/dmesg - look for it finding (or not) the USB hub, then the Ethernet controller. Then (if that looks OK), run /sbin/ifconfig -a just to make sure that Linux sees the Ethernet device.

Also check the output of lsusb -t ought to be like:

/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/3p, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=smsc95xx, 480M

with nothing else plugged into the USB.

If it sees the USB, try plugging in a keyboard - if it sees that them you might be able to use it with a W-Fi adapter or other USB Ethernet adapter. (thinking that it's maybe the Ethernet jack thats borked)

Failing that, the model B+ runs cooler...

If it is the jack - which contains the Ethernet magnetics, you may be able to desolder it and solder a new one on ... but not sure it's worth it...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Could something like this be made to work with a Pi?

Your anti surge-protector is probebly ten pence worth of MOVs

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

Did you try another SD card? My Pi once went offline for no apparent reason. After days of checking log files, trying this and that and everything else I plugged in another SD and there it was back again as if nothing happened. Turned out that not even the SD card was broken, just some odd Bit in the OS went AWOL. Now it runs on the original SD happily ever after.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Berger

In message , Adrian writes

Thanks for the prompt suggestions, much appreciated.

I should have said in my OP that I've got a USB keyboard and mouse plugged in, and that they are working, I was using them to check it out so far as I have done

ifconfig gives me (coped from the screen, so there may be typos):

eth0 link encap:Ethernet HWaddr UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU 16436 Metric:1 RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:840 (840.0 B) TX bytes 840 (840.0 B)

/var/log/dmesg does show the USB hub (since I'm using USB for the key board/mouse that is expected), but there is no obvious sign of any reference to Ethernet.

I suspect, as you've suggested, that it probably isn't worth trying to fix, but I wanted to be sure before I perform the last rites.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

Not yet. I think I've got a spare somewhere.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

I would say that it got a surge up its Ethernet and fried its chips.

Short of battered cod and pickled onions, its probably toast.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let's hope ;)

TRY ANOTHER SD CARD! A crash on a pi tends to corrupt the SD and can lead to any type of problem or problems. Either try another SD or rewrite that one. Try the boot setup and rebuild your system if you can (the startup stuff likely didn't get co rrupted because it wasn't being accessed). Anything to rewrite the SD could fix it.

Reply to
bcw142

I should have a spare SD card somewhere, and if I can find it, I'll give it a try, but probably not this side of Friday.

I got talking to one of my neighbours earlier. He lives 3 doors down from me, and he asked me if I'd had any problems after the storm, and I mentioned my problems (and one that a neighbour on the other side had). It seems that he, and all the other neighbours on the same telegraph pole had had their phones and modems damaged. The suggestion was that the pole had taken a lightening strike.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

Can't *anyone* spell "lightning" correctly these days??

Reply to
Bob Martin

Keep taking the tablets! ;-)

John

-- John Williams, now back in the UK - no attachments to these addresses! Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject! Who is John Williams?

John Williams (News)

They're just trying to lighten the load :)

--
W J G
Reply to

Well, it is 'a whole nother' world these days. LMAO!!!!!!!

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

Meh, if the pole is still there or doesn't have a gert lump blasted off the top or split it didn't take a strike. Damaging voltages/currents can be induced into conductors quite some considerable distance (hundred yards or more) from the actual strike.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lightning ;) It's still worth a try with a new card or re-imaged SD card. T here should be a grounding point as the wires enter the house and the pi is very sensitive to resets at the wrong time being a live system. A power su rge is likely to be handled by diodes on the board but still cause a reset crashing and corrupting the OS on the pi. I had a lot of problems with that because the adapter on the pre-built cards come with is badly designed for the socket and kept switching the write protect on and making bad contact. A PNY one fixed that after I fought with the original for a couple of week s.

Reply to
bcw142

The pole looks OK, so I doubt that it did have a strike (I did when I was told), more likely something induced. Odd though, my pole is right outside my house (makes a good landmark for visitors), and theirs is daisy chained from mine, and is maybe 30ft away, and my phones/modem are fine. I was awake during the storm, probably the most violent I've seen in many years, but I think I would have noticed if there had been a strike that close.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

This morning I was able to try a new (straight out of the wrapper) card, and it didn't make any difference. It boots fine, but no life on the network. I've also got a "normal" PC in the loft (which was turned off at the time), I also ran that up this morning, and it is working fine (and can access the net via the same switch), so it looks as though what ever damage was done, was limited to the networking hardware on the Pi.

So the Pi is now in a drawer awaiting new adventures (that don't need Ethernet), and a new one will be ordered on Sunday (I need some other bits as well, so I'll working up a list over the weekend).

Adrian