battery chargers fried ...

Preamble:

************************************

While travelling and visiting friends in rural India recently, I was using NiMH "AA" cells, and Rayovac rechargeable alkaline "AA" cells to power my digital camera.

To recharge them I was using a "GP" brand (model GPKB34P) charger , and a Rayovac Model PS1 charger. Both are 117v 60Hz devices, and I was running them through a 220 > 110 volt transformer.

Power outages were common in the area and sometimes a farm tractor with a jury-rigged generator running off the "power take off" shaft, was used to supply electricity to the farm house. During one evening when I was away visiting other relatives of theirs, it seems there was a "brown-out" sort of situation due to the tractor running at an unusually slow speed for several hours. I saw the flickering honey-color tungsten lamps in the house when I returned and realized that my chargers were not getting proper voltage !

The chargers both appear to be dead. The transformer survived, according to subsequent tests with a volt meter.

***********************************

Question: Are either of these 2 chargers likely to be easily repairable?

Thanks !

-RS-

Reply to
RS

If the transformers are indeed good (proper AC voltage at the secondary) then there ain't much more to the charger than at most a secondary fuse, a diode or two, resistors or possible a regulator semiconductor. Get your multi-meter back out of the tool box and perform some simple testing of components.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

and

running

of

several

sofie

Huh uh, Dan. He was referring to the 220-110v stepdown transformers he had in series with the chargers. Those survived. The chargers are Li-ion, so there's gonna be some active electronics in there...perhaps as little as a timer circuit; but AIRC, these things go for as cheap as $10, so there's little hope or profit in trying to fix them anyway.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

It wasn't low voltage that fried them. It was low frequency. 50 cycle would have done it if the voltage wasn't reduced from 120 to 100. The internal 110 to (12?) transformers are probably dead.

Can you fix them? Yes, if you can get the parts.

NSM