Where can I buy a Zenith DTV converter?

I keep reading that the Zenith DTV converter is one of the best. Because I live in a rural area, I am limited to Walmart with their RCA and Magnavox brands. However, I'm willing to drive to one of the larger cities if I can get the Zenith. My problem is what stores carry that brand? I know the nearest large city has Best Buy, Sears, Target, Kmart, and a few other possible stores. Does anyone know which stores carry the Zenith? Also, is there just one Zenith model, or are there more? If I cant find this brand, are there other really good converters?

I'm in a fringe (rural) area, and need one that will really pull in stations. I do have one converter already, an Apex brand. It was one of the early models. I cant say anything really bad about it, other than the remote buttons being too small, but I went from getting 8 analog channels to only 4 channels on digital. I'm hoping another brand will do better.

Thank U

LM

Reply to
letterman

Best Buy's Insignia brand converter (at least, the NS-DXA1-APT that I picked up) is a Zenith on the inside, with some tweaks to the look & feel of the menus and on-screen displays. Works great, no complaints.

Only downside, for some folks, may be that the schedule only shows now and next. On the plus side, you can tune to *all* digital channels, not just ones that are present on an auto-search, so there's the possibility of tuning to a known but not seen channel and tweaking the antenna to pull it in.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Is that really true? I have the Zenith DTT901 -- which is the one I think we're speaking of here.

After the scan setup, I 'click' to 13.1 and I view the programming broadcast on TV Chan 24. Then I 'click' to 9.1 (un-assigned - "No Signal") and what frequency/TV Chan does the unit switch to? And, if I 'click' to 9.2 - 9.3 -- what?

I believe with tropo propagation, I could (at times) view (some of) the Denver area stations. But, I'm not confident that 'clicking' up their assignments would put me on their operating frequency.

Inquiring minds, Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Honestly all of those boxes seem like junk to me. Are there any that aren't just cheap crap made in China? I know zenith's name was bought out years ago.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Each time you click on a new station, your converter box scans the range of frequencies where 9.1, for example, is supposed to be. Then it locks in on it when it finds it. That's one reason why changing stations is slower in digital than in analog which had only one frequency.

Al

Reply to
alchazz

Try this mail-order link. Doc..

DocDice

Good question. There are sites

is one I've used) that list the actual and virtual channel information. Try both? My guess is that the virtual channel number over-rides the actual one but only after the PCIP data is decoded. Perhaps there are some boxes that allow selective tuning of one or the other?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Speaking of all the channel reallocations, has anyone seen the actual frequencies assigned to the new band? I'd like to see such a chart of assignments posted somewhere. (no luck yet) All I heard is that it's all UHF now. Thanks for your guidance.

Les

Reply to
les

On Feb 9, 7:19=A0am, alchazz wrote: > Each time you click on =A0a new station, your converter box scans the range > of frequencies where 9.1, for example, is supposed to be. Then it locks > in on it when it finds it. That's one reason why changing stations is > slower in digital than in analog which had only one frequency. >

No it doesn't. It goes to the actual channel number from its lookup table from when it 'scanned'. It doesn't do a 'new' scan. It has to wait for the 'sync' data to begin decoding the data stream. Look near the end for "VSB Modulator"

The actual channel list is

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

You can often (not all receivers support this) punch in the actual DTV carrier frequency and the unit will then get the analog channel number from PSIP. Channel list here.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I got a Zenith DT-901 at RadioShack last year. The current model is the DT-901A, though I don't know what the difference is.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hi!

It seems to work well and run cool. Reception is more than good enough. The on screen fonts are legible, and the remote seems to be usable in the dark.

As to the RCA and Magnavox converters...the RCA I would definitely avoid. It's far too limited and acts as though it does not have enough processing power. It also can't accept manual addition of channels later--a problem if you have a very directional TV antenna that might need to be rotated so you can get all the stations in your area.

I've put a few of the Magnavox units out so far, and they work acceptably well. The display text is pretty good quality. My only concern is that they are made by Funai, whose quality track record is...shall we say...on the dubious side. Other than that, the only real drawback is that you can't work the unit from the front panel--it only offers remote control.

There are two Zenith models that I know of--the DTT900 and the DTT901. Both are identical in looks, but the DTT901 offers analog passthrough when it is turned off.

If there is a Radio Shack in your area, they stock the Zenith converter as well as a Digital Stream branded unit. The Digital Stream unit is really, really nice. It has a comprehensive program guide, receives well, can be operated (at least to change channels) from the front panel and was clearly designed by people who Thought Of Things That Might Be Good Ideas--for example, the red LED that shows up when the unit is off but receiving power actually dims...great if you have the unit in a bedroom.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

This is likely to be firmware dependent. I can say for certain that the Zenith DTT-901 will let you punch in any channel number and it will try to tune it. If you type in the "real" channel number of a broadcasting station and it differs from the "virtual" or "commonly accepted" channel number used by that station, the virtual number is displayed when the unit locks on and starts playing TV programming.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

The one I looked at had only a composite output; S-video or component would offer considerably better quality. Since the decoded MPEG is component, which must to be converted to whatever format is desired, it seems odd that practically no converters offer even S-video outputs.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

One of my snail mail computer magazines says to buy a DTV converter that has analog pass through and S-Video.

I subscribe to DirecTV.I will not need a DTV converter box.But, I wonder if there would be an advantage, or benefit to hooking up one anyway? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you have enough signal for it receive something, then you have the ability to watch TV when the satellite is out, your dish is broken, the "box" stops working, etc.

How much value that is to you is up to you.

If you can still get a coupon for one from the government, I would take it. You never know when it will be useful.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

It might, if DirecTV doesn't carry the sub-channels.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

... providing the "when" is within 90 days of the date it was mailed.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I meant when the converter would be of use. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

TV Stations Ignore Obama, Congress on Digital TV.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin