yo

What's better an apple or an orange?

--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Orange

Reply to
yo

Well, comparing a pc or mac to an OS or an internet browser is not possible at all. It's like comparing a voltage with a current.

BTW this is off-topic here.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

I can tell you my wife's Intel Macbook is about 1 year old, has been replaced once, repaired twice and STILL isn't right.

POS, IMHO.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I wasn't comparing a pc or mac to an os or a browser. I was comparing a pc to a mac, an os to an os, and a browser to a browser.

Btw, this is not off topic since computers and electronics are related.

Reply to
yo

"yo" wrote in news:o7F7i.1914$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net:

It just has to do what I want it to as fast as I want it to for what I am willing to pay to accomplish the first two. Admittedly subjective criteria, but what it comes down to. It may be that only the latest/fastest gee whiz laptop will do and no price is too high for you...

me

It isn't repair related, and there are more appropriate groups to ask about NEW stuff. If you wanted to know about lowest failures, or ease of repair you would be in the right group.

I don't really care, but I don't personally know ANYONE with a new laptop. Hell, I just started using XP about a year ago, and was given a bad Dell XP laptop a few days ago to replace the Win 98 laptop that I've had for a few years. Do you go to a used car lot to look for a new car?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're off topic.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

pc

In that case what is the best repairable laptop (used)?

Reply to
yo

Look on Ebay and find models that you can buy several of, cheap. The best choice changes fairly often. Find one with a busted screen, and another that's dead, of the same model and if you are careful you can build a working laptop with a usable battery and charger for little money. Last week there were over a dozen Dell Inspiron of the same model that went cheap. 1.8 Ghz CPU, 256 MB RAm and a 15.1 inch screen with XP. Even with shipping I could have bought enough parts to build a working laptop for about 4125.00 US.

You have to decide how much computer you need, and your skill level in repairing computers. they don't bother me, I started repairing Vic

20 and Commodore 64 computers 20 some years ago.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was wondering what the best car is?

greg

Reply to
GregS

One that runs well enough, and you can pay for in cash.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes and while we're at it, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the tastiest dish? Best color? Best movie? Best style of architecture?

Reply to
Dave

What's wrong with it? The MacBook is the first Apple computer I've considered purchasing in a LONG time. The one-button trackpad has held me away though. From what I've heard, I got the impression they were pretty solid machines.

Reply to
James Sweet

the

While we're at it I'd like to ask what is the best repair job, the best repairable activity, the best repairable relationship, and the best repairable event, and finally the best repairable poster who replies to people who post questions which start with "The Best..." Any advise anyone?

Reply to
yo

Go to Google groups and look it it up for yourself.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi!

I've been pretty happy with mine. First, the bad:

  1. The onboard Ethernet port broke away from the logic board. I don't know how it happened...I hardly ever use it.
  2. A key came off the keyboard.
  3. The hard drive was making an occasional "clicking" sound during certain disk reads, like it was starting to have functional problems.

and while not related to the MacBook, I found Apple's technical support to be from mildly irritating to truly bad when trying to get a new set of replacement software restoration disks for my Mac mini.

The good:

  1. The independent semi-local Apple dealer that I bought it from has given me first rate service. All the repairs above--including the hard drive, which still worked but made funny noises--were completed quickly and without question under the Apple warranty. I wouldn't bother purchasing from Apple--find a Macintosh dealer you trust and get it there.
  2. I set my MacBook on top of a set of soft lunch boxes in the kitchen. A few minutes later it fell five feet to the floor and landed screen first. It was closed at the time. It shrugged this off with no problems. (The hard drive had already been replaced at this point.) I heard the crash and feared the worst. Nothing has ever come of it.
  3. I made a serious mistake and left it on top of my truck cab overnight. Yes, my truck sits outdoors. Thankfully (!!) crime and theft are nearly nonexistant in this area. It was still there in the morning, but the weather had turned to rain with the computer in standby on a fully charged battery. Simply put "not good"...especially after I found it was no longer in standby and water poured out of it.

Amazingly enough, it seemed to suffer no lasting damage from the rainwater. I set it front of a fan for a several hours with the battery out and memory/HD doors open. Then I rode around with it on the dash of my truck in the sun. Once dry, it came right up and has continued to work just fine.

As for the Mac mini, I let the Apple dealer burn me a set of replacement disks. No hassle, no fuss and no charge. Apple eventually did come through, though.

Enable tapping on the pad to click and do it with two fingers. Instant right-click. Works great. Or if you want to push the button, use the control key at the same time for the right click. You can also scroll with two fingers if you turn the setting on to do that. I love that idea!

So there you go...the good and bad of my MacBook, at least so far.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

anyone?

No you go to google groups and look it up for me. I'll wait here at sci.electronics.repair for the results.

Reply to
yo

Ok, hold your breath. I'll get right on it when I decide you are worth the time. Don't forget to hold your breath.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida