Floppy Drive from one Laptop into Another Laptop

Hi,

The floppy drive, part # 261848-001, in my 1997 (abt.) Compaq Presario

1060 laptop is bad and there is no replacement available. Note: I service TVs, etc., rarely computers. I have a floppy drive from another model Compaq laptop, not the same part number, but it could fit in the space occupied by the original. What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

In my opinion all 1.44 MB floppies are the same. I don't even look at their part numbers when I change one out.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Don Bowey wrote in news:C12DB6C3.42FB1% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Be careful if you work on PS/2s. Very little was standardized in those not even the floppy drives!

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Reply to
Art

Yep. I remember that the PS/2 either inverted the meaning of the write-protect slider, or totally ignored it.

( For you kiddies reading this and wondering: ( No we are not speaking of the Play Station 2.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

But does that apply to laptops? They often do use proprietary parts, which is why extra parts are often so expensive. It likely also depends on vintage, the further back in time the more likely it is a unique device to that laptop.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Reply to