The RCA CTC 185 chassis...dead!

Has anyone got these 25, & 27" chassis to work, & stay working after they blow up for the first time? The ones I have seen, keep blowing up,

even after replacing the flyback, diodes in the SMPS, & totally rebuilding the SMPS. Got any tips? Thanks, Dani.

Reply to
Dani

Dani, not sure if you or anyone else here is aware of a great repair tip database called

it's a pay service but VERY reasonable. Saved me many times. And has payed for itself over and again.

Reply to
Randy

reasonable.

Reply to
Charlie East

I have the 19" version of the CTC185. Only had one problem with it since I purchased it new almost seven years ago--the RF port snapped off the tuner PCB. The tech who repaired the set (in my home) resoldered the ground points around the tuner as well, which were a major source of trouble in all RCA (Thomson) televisions with on-board tuners. After the repair, however, my set has worked flawlessly on cable the last six years or so (I had the repair done only a couple of months after purchasing the set).

Why would the large-screen sets (25-27") using the same chassis as my

19" TV have so much more trouble with other things besides the tuner, such as the flyback and power supply? I have a friend who owns an RCA TV with a 25" CRT; he has apparently had no problems with it in perhaps five years, despite the TV having fallen off a table a couple of years ago and having been moved some 15 miles about a year and a half ago. I don't know, however, if his TV has the CTC 185 chassis or not. It may not (probably doesn't), considering his has the Guide Plus+ on-screen program guide; my CTC185 doesn't have it either.

The Guide Plus+ feature seemed to me at its introduction, and still seems to me today, to have been a feature included only in high-end RCA/Thomson TVs; I don't think it lasted all that long, however, as I haven't seen it in any of RCA's new sets, either its SDTV models or any of its remaining flat-tube CRT sets and certainly not in recent RCA high-definition FPs. Was Guide Plus+ just a glitzy flash-in-the-pan feature RCA included in their sets just as a selling point for a couple of model years? I would think so, since most digital cable services such as Time Warner, et al. now include an on-screen program guide and a flip bar (in their cable boxes; I don't know if this is available with the company's HD service which connects directly to a HD FP set) that shows the name and channel number of the station you are watching, and a listing of channels and programs by time, channel, etc. With a feature like this already available in the cable box, there is no need for an on-screen channel guide in the TV itself.

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV