Source for Onkyo OPU?

Hi: I have a Onkyo DR-c500 5.1 HT receiver/amp that has a 5-disk DVD/CD changer. The OPU (phillips) has developed a problem (not always being able to read the disk-any disk). I understand this is a common failure in this unit. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement OPU? I called Onkyo and the 'repair shop price' is around $360! Suggested list is $500. Buying a $100 sony DVD player would solve the problem but I like the convenience of the integrated player, and one less remote control. Any suggestions on repairing the OPU directly? e.g. what are some things to look at? I've dusted and cleaned the lense, checked the supply voltages. Its probably an alignement problem but I don't have any alignment disks. Why do they mfg this junk and charge outragous prices for replacement parts and promote the throw away mentality? After buying this, I certaintly would not buy another Onkyo product...

Reply to
John Hudak

It's a Philips mech - sold pre-aligned with it's matching circuit board. That's why it's so expensive. Of course, that's the whole point - to discourage any out-of-warranty repair. We are just supposed to buy another piece of junk so we can continue to feed the Chinese army. Last time I checked Onkyo had a couple hundred of those mechs in stock. No surprise nobody's rushing to buy them...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

P.S.

re: Onkyo:

It's their Philips-built optical players that aren't such great performers or economical to fix. A few of their single-disc types use Pioneer mech, which are much better.

Their receivers and amps etc are just fine.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias