Paging Jim Yanik - 7000 series plugin question

Jim (and other Tek alumni),

Why is there no polar display or vectorscope plugin for the 7000 series? Did you ever hear of a third party that made one?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

In article , msg@_cybertheque.org_ says...>

I'm not a Tek alum, but... Plug vertical amps in both vertical and horizontal bays and you get X-Y. Z-axis was supplied on the rear of the 7000 chassis. ...or is that not sufficient?

--
  Keith
Reply to

msg wrote in news:i5SdnUk25pT--

7nUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.cpinternet:

7000 series were primarily Laboratory scopes.

At that time frame,vectorscopes were the 602 X-Y display(used in Ampex tape machines,driven by a 650 series TV monitor),520,520A NTSC vectorscopes,then replaced by the 1720,1740,1750,and 1780 scopes.(TV Products) There also were audio vector monitors such as the 760,and the 1720 and 1780 monitors had an audio vector mode.

as another poster mentioned,7000 series X-Y displays were done with vertical plug-ins in both Vert and Horiz slots.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Did the 650 then provide an I and Q signal to the 602 X-Y display to produce the polar plot?

If I were to construct a 7000 vectorscope plugin, what should I look for to cannibalize for prototyping? Was there a specific user-prototyping plugin module? Perhaps I should shoehorn an existing color processing board from some monitor into the module? I would like to have line/field selection; suggestions for make and model of any video device to cannibalize that includes such sync processing circuitry appreciated.

With limited shelf/rack space, I have room for only one scope and hope to do a plugin solution rather than build an outboard box that drives two vertical plugins.

Michael

Reply to
msg

msg wrote in news:z6ydndJ-aNYQI7jUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.cpinternet:

yes.Later versions used a 1420 vectorscope,next to a 528 waveform monitor. (then 1720/1730 combo,or a single 1740/1750 dual wfm/vector scopes.

7A17,IIRC. It was a very simple differential amp with a large perfboard area for circuits,with a blank faceplate. not too common.

a 650's board(s)will not fit. I suppose you could use the circuitry from a 1420 vectorscope.All the vector circuits were on one board,but it was 1.5 times as large as the entire 7A17. there probably are modern TV decoding IC sets that could do the whole job on the 7A17's perfboard area,but I could not recommend any.

And you still will not have a vector graticule for the CRT.

If I were you,I'd look for a 1720(half-rack width) and a half-rack scope of some sort.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik