Miller aerowave not working, amps set to HIGH value and cannot change

My coworker has a Miller Aerowave TIG welder. It did work previously. Now it does not work. The amps display shows a very HIGH number that cannot be adjusted with amperage knob. It does weld at that extremely high setting and melts welding rods.

I have some pictures of the welder and board LEDs at:

Would anyone suggest a solution? Also does anyone know a good welder repair shop on the Chicago area? Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus19737

Just a stab in the dark.

Is the current set by a potentiometer?

If one end has gone open it could be pulled high or low causing the welder to think you want full current.

If you're confident of not electrocuting yourself, try to measure the voltage on the wiper of the potentiometer as you wind it up and down and see if it sweeps up and down.

I'm not familiar with high end welders and can't believe how much electronics there are inside that one!

Reply to
nub12

Might be something related to the foot-switch? Not sure how they work together with the knob settings...

Have you downloaded the owners manual:

Looks like a nightmare inside without the full tech manual to guide you around. Much more complicated than the Millermatic I'm trying to repair...

I see you found the Miller Forum. Nobody has jumped forward to help you so far but it hasn't been up long. You might get a tech manual from that site if you ask nicely :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids  MI/Zone 5b

If you are still interested or anyone who see's this post is having issues with their aerowave. My company frankcoproductsllc.com repairs these back to factory specification.

Reply to
frankcoproductsllc