Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100

Hello, all.  The above referenced ca. 1980s MIDI sequencers (termed
"Disk Composers" by Brother) all appear to use the same internal 3.5"
FDD.  The spindle is belt rather than direct driven.  I can't find any
specific belt info for these devices on line except for the FB-100
Brother drive which was intended for use with their line of knitting
machines.  I have the MDI-30 and I think a 8.5" or 9" circumference flat
belt might work but if anyone can provide some additional detail it
would be most welcome.  Thanks for your time and comment.  Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood                e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Re: Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100
responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/brother-mdi-30-mdi-40-pdc-100-171199-.htm ,
I just replaced the belt on a PDC-100. I got it from
https://www.turntableneedles.com . A 9.8" small square belt worked just fine -
their part # SBS9.8. Cost $5.

Re: Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100

I expect he's long gone. If not a stationery belt should do the job.

NT

Re: Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100

Hello, and I was the OP on this.  I subsequently solved my dilemma with
a replacement flat belt from Suburban Electronics.  They have quite a
selection of these small drive belts and at very reasonable prices.
Shipping cost is somewhat less reasonable.  Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood                e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Re: Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100

JB,
why not replace the disk drive with one of these? ::

<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=thumb+drive
++3.5"+floppy+drive+emulator%2Csimulator&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_od
kw=thumb+drive++3.5"+floppy+drive+%28emu>

It eliminates the diskette altogether and instead you use a USB flash drive
?memory stick? to move songs to your computer.

These USB floppy drive replacements are drop-in, plug-in replacements with
apparently no fuss.

Re: Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100
On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 22:41:58 -0800, Spare Change

I have a "real" floppy drive that plugs into a USB port.
I needed it to install Windows Server 2003 on a Sunfire server.

Site Timeline